• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Daily Mail - the profits of Doom

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily Mail - the profits of Doom

Everyone has that friend. The one who, every time something from the Daily Mail gets shared on social media, feels compelled to reply almost instantly with “UGH. DON’T LINK TO THE MAIL. YOU’RE PLAYING INTO THEIR HANDS. THEY WIN IF YOU CLICK ON THAT LINK.” They’re the same type who habitually refer to it as the Daily Heil, or the Waily Mail, or the Maily Fail. The self-appointed community support officers who like to slip on their hi-viz tabards and pad around the internet telling other users to put that down and stop climbing on that.

If you can stomach the sanctimony, it’s actually kind of fun to watch them work. Seeing them get all hot and bothered by other people’s browsing habits can even be quite sweet, but it’s all predicated on this widely-held assumption that the Daily Mail (or, more correctly, its digital counterpart mailonline) is doing a roaring trade in tittle-tattle on the world wide web. When they announced their quarterly turnover earlier this month though, something struck us about the numbers. Because, for all its online omniscience, they seemed kind of small to us. Not the traffic itself, nor the number of readers, but the actual amount of money they’ve been able to glean off the whole racket.

So we decided to take a closer look.
    Profits Of Doom
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    tl;dr quality > quantity

But expect their page impressions and revenue to drop significantly now BP is not vociferously reposting them daily (unless of course he's moved to mumsnet and doing the same there)

Comment

Working...
    X