• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Top council earner avoids income tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top council earner avoids income tax

Times pg 14.

"Channels his income through his company in a scheme that reduces tax bills"

"His earnings go to company owned by him & wife. As result he avoids income tax at 45%, paying as little as 21% in dividends."

Government wants to clamp down...

Sounds pretty much what a vanilla contractor does.

Article has government worker slant but can only be a matter of time before service companies targeted.

And if it is decided that you've been running a company as a tax vehicle then don't be surprised if you find you are in dispute for a fat wad of pseudo tax.

Hector is coming.
    Last edited by retrodeath; 24 August 2014, 16:40.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...ntracting.html

KUATB
    Clarity is everything

Comment

When I see lurid media stories like that I have to wonder how many of the newspaper's reporters and columnists have similar arrangements...

Comment

Originally posted by Kess View Post
        When I see lurid media stories like that I have to wonder how many of the newspaper's reporters and columnists have similar arrangements...
        What the article failed to mention when it stated that he 'only' paid 21% corporation tax was that he would also pay 25% income tax on any higher rate income he drew as a dividend.

Comment

Individuals utilising PSCs in the public sector have been and are being scrutinised by Hector constantly. So the clamping down is already on-going.

Comment

Originally posted by pacontracting View Post
            What the article failed to mention when it stated that he 'only' paid 21% corporation tax was that he would also pay 25% income tax on any higher rate income he drew as a dividend.
            True, but the media seldom allows facts to get in the way of a juicy story.

Comment

Originally posted by Kess View Post
              In fairness it is far easier for reporters to have genuine contracts of self-employment / consultancy than it is for the average BOS IT bloke/ess.

Boo

Comment

Working...
              X