• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Efficiency Test (BET)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Efficiency Test (BET)

The Efficiency test
    Has your business had the opportunity in the last 24 months to increase your business income by working more efficiently?

One way of doing this is finishing a fixed-price contract early. Say you agreed with the end client that the work would take three months and the fee would be £10,000. And say you finished in two months and received the full £10,000 at that point. You would have freed up a month to take on new business. So the answer to this question would be Yes.
    Score 10 if you answer Yes

MyCo has completed some fixed price work previously this year only small pieces for £200 - £300 a time, but we have completed these early, so would this be ok to answer Yes to this question?

The 10 points will put me in Low risk

Yes
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Can't see why not. I winder how far you can go, ie if I finish all my work in a day and chip off to the pub at 4pm would this also count?

Comment

Originally posted by turbowoowoo View Post
        The Efficiency test
        Has your business had the opportunity in the last 24 months to increase your business income by working more efficiently?

One way of doing this is finishing a fixed-price contract early. Say you agreed with the end client that the work would take three months and the fee would be £10,000. And say you finished in two months and received the full £10,000 at that point. You would have freed up a month to take on new business. So the answer to this question would be Yes.

MyCo has completed some fixed price work previously this year only small pieces for £200 - £300 a time, but we have completed these early, so would this be ok to answer Yes to this question?

Technically yes but I rather suspect no. For those kind of rates it sounds like finishing a piece of work before lunchtime rather than the end of the day. Negotiating a contract would probably take longer. You would have to be able to validate any
        answers with some proof. Anyway it's just a questionnaire and just completing it and coming in as low risk doesn't put you outside IR35.

Comment

Originally posted by turbowoowoo View Post
          The Efficiency test

Yes.

The BETs are fatally flawed, even for their intended purpose, but they do not put any parameters on the answers. If you get £200 for working 7 hours 59 minutes instead of the contracted/quoted for 8 hours, you have passed.

They are total bollocks. do not treat them with resect and do not give them any particular importance. It's up to HMRC to challenge the answers.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

The phrasing is totally ambiguous. I would read the word opportunity to mean the potential to achieve efficiency, which any fixed price contract provides, regardless of the actual outcome.

Comment

Thanks all, I agree with you that I can answer yes and seeing as this document has no legal standing whatsoever when It comes to IR35 I put myself in the Low score.

Box ticking exercise imho

Comment

BTW it's a Business Entity Test... Not efficiency....

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  BTW it's a Business Entity Test... Not efficiency....

You might want to read that a little more carefully Hint: it's a component of the BET....

Comment

PCG+ members may also want to remember that membership gives you access to office space in London.

10 points for Does your business own or rent business premises which are separate both from your home and from the end client’s premises?
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X