• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mildly interesting for Air Travellers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mildly interesting for Air Travellers

Ever wondered the reason behind Airport Codes? | Mail Online

Didn't know why the Y in Canadian airports.

And there's even the slightly funny ones, that might send out a chuckle. Has anyone flown to SUX? The airport code for Sioux City, Iowa.

Apparently the airport has made fun of its unfortunate name selling a variety of SUX souvenirs.

But the more unfortunate ones are these. Russia's Bolshoye Savino Airport is stuck with PEE, while the number 2 version goes to Brazil's Poco De Caldas Airport with POO.

There's even one for FAT, the airport code for Fresno, Calif.
    Didn't MF fly into Fresno?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Do you want to know how many un-commanded engine IFSD (In-flight shut downs) occur on a daily basis over Europe? Most suspect nothing when one engine just suddenly stops, and windmills until the field.

It's when the failed part in that engine shares a serial number one or two digits away from a part in the other engine on the same a/c that it gets exciting.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

And even when we go closer to home, the airport codes get a little crazy for thought.
      The proposed Sydney West Airport at Badgery's Creek has already been christened as SWZ.
      Churnalism at it's finest - they've not even bothered to correct the "home" location.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        Ever wondered the reason behind Airport Codes? | Mail Online

Didn't know why the Y in Canadian airports.

Didn't MF fly into Fresno?
        He got banned for having a tantrum when they wouldn't serve him champagne in the freight terminal.

Comment

Airspotter geeks: I took minQH a while back to Manchester Airport viewing section. I spotted a (plane)carrier I'd not seen before.

The logo was a black rectangle with an orange (sun?) circle in it? Could have been a cargo plane?

TIA

qh
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
          X