• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC tax relief on rental property new contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC tax relief on rental property new contract

I have recently started work on a extended contract (18months) which distant from my home. I have doing a mix of long distance commute and hotel stayovers returning home at weekends. Can I claim rental costs for a property (flat/house) where I work? I have just been offered a mobile home for rental significantly cheaper, would that qualify for HMRC relief as well?

Originally posted by Geoffnewcontractor View Post
    I have recently started work on a extended contract (18months) which distant from my home. I have doing a mix of long distance commute and hotel stayovers returning home at weekends. Can I claim rental costs for a property (flat/house) where I work? I have just been offered a mobile home for rental significantly cheaper, would that qualify for HMRC relief as well?
    Broadly speaking, renting a flat or house should be ok providing it is a cheaper alternative than staying in hotels. Be aware of the 24 month rule and any notice you might need to pay if your contract is cut short.

It is fine to claim for a mobile phone but you should ensure the contract is in the name of the company and is paid from the company account.

I hope this helps.

Martin

Comment

Mobile Home, not Mobile Phone
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
        Mobile Home, not Mobile Phone

Comment

Oops.. a mobile home is a bit more complicated!

The guidance does not cover this sort of thing, but if it is more affordable, is a temporary workplace and there is no dual purpose then there is a possiblity this could be claimed.

The dual purpose test might prove difficult if the home is located in a holiday park for example. I would avoid staying at weekends and friends/relatives staying there.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin at NixonWilliams View Post

The guidance does not cover this sort of thing, but if it is more affordable, is a temporary workplace and there is no dual purpose then there is a possiblity this could be claimed.

The dual purpose test might prove difficult if the home is located in a holiday park for example. I would avoid staying at weekends and friends/relatives staying there.
            Surely the mobile home will be more affordable than hotel. And with regards to friends/relatives, if your spouse/friend stayed there during the week, surely you could leave off a bit (say 10%) of the expense? As a BIK?

I've always wondered (and my former accountant didn't seem interested in finding out) if someone stayed at a rental place with you during the week, and they were also an employee of the ltd (say your spouse employed part time as bookkeeper and manager) ... that there would be no BIK at all, if both employees returned home on the weekend, and the main home wasn't let out.

Comment

If you search on here there is a big thread discussing the pitfalls of a spouse staying with you in rented accomodation.

IIRC, there isn't anything inherently wrong with it but if HMRC queried it it could give rise to claims of there being duality of purpose.

IMO as long as it's clear that there was a sole business purpose for the rental then a spouse or partner staying over from time to time shouldn't change that but you have to look at things in context. If the rental was say, in a nice part of the country and your spouse stayed with you all the time it might look like you are using it as a bit of a holiday home.
              Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 15 September 2014, 18:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin at NixonWilliams View Post

I knew a contractor who stayed in such a field in Ecclefechan ('Fechan to the locals - birthplace of Thomas Carlyle) he was sat in a 'Fechan field in a caravan with a calor gas heater for winter and I kid u not, a 10' B&W telly with a choice of Border TV or STV for viewing in 425 lines, not for me...

He was from Blackburn, so that was probably a treat......

Comment

Originally posted by perlpilot View Post
                  Surely the mobile home will be more affordable than hotel. And with regards to friends/relatives, if your spouse/friend stayed there during the week, surely you could leave off a bit (say 10%) of the expense? As a BIK?
                  If somebody is living with you then I would suggest claiming no more than 50% of the cost. This sort of arrangement is likely to be questioned if looked at by HMRC as the costs in total are clearly not wholly and exclusively for business purposes.

Originally posted by perlpilot View Post
                  I've always wondered (and my former accountant didn't seem interested in finding out) if someone stayed at a rental place with you during the week, and they were also an employee of the ltd (say your spouse employed part time as bookkeeper and manager) ... that there would be no BIK at all, if both employees returned home on the weekend, and the main home wasn't let out.
                  I cannot see how this could work. The contractor is allowed a deduction for the costs of working at a temporary workplace as it is necessary to be there to perform their contract. In your example, the spouse would not need to be there and the work is unlikely to amount to any more than a few hours per month.

Comment

Surely a mobile home is a vehicle and therefore subject to car benefit?

Comment

Working...
                    X