• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Saving jpg in Paintbrush

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saving jpg in Paintbrush

Hmmm, noticed that saving jpg's in Paintbrush reduces the size by a third - is quality being sacrificed?

Just used a 9MB file and it came to around 3MB after saving.. odd

As an aside, I'll be trimming some jpg's - was going to do it in Paintbrush, but thinking of using another application is quality is being sacrificed - anyone care to comment..

cheers

jpg is by it's very nature lossy....

Comment

PNG is supposed to be lossless, but doesn't compress photographs very well (better off using .bmp for those if you don't want to lose quality).

So it depends what you're compressing.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Paint.NET - Free Software for Digital Photo Editing
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          jpg is by it's very nature lossy....
          Doesn't explain why opening a 9Mb JPG and saving it leads to a 3Mb JPG.

Paint (I doubt you're using Paintbrush surely?!) will have default quality settings which are not the same as whatever created the files.

Paint.Net allows you to directly control the JPG quality, as do other dedicated conversion tools.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Doesn't explain why opening a 9Mb JPG and saving it leads to a 3Mb JPG.

Paint (I doubt you're using Paintbrush surely?!) will have default quality settings which are not the same as whatever created the files.

Paint.Net allows you to directly control the JPG quality, as do other dedicated conversion tools.
            If opening a JPG and then saving it changes the size, it is probably being saved with a different compression level. This is user-configurable.

I note in passing that saving as TIF compresses, but losslessly.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
              If opening a JPG and then saving it changes the size, it is probably being saved with a different compression level. This is user-configurable.
              In MSPaint?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

JPG direct from camera won't be compressed, so re-saving it will reduce the size dramatically. Check the "Save" options and reduce the compression to sacrifice less quality (I'm not familiar with PaintBrush but I'd be surprised if there's no option to adjust the amount of comprerssion).

Comment

Working...
                X