• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reopening a closed company or starting with the same name

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reopening a closed company or starting with the same name

I closed my limited company about two years ago, to go permanent. Now I wish to return to contracting. Can I start my new company in the same name of the closed company? Are there any restrictions?

Just change the name slightly i.e. call it something "UK" if it didn't have a UK on the name.

Lots of directors of phoenix companies do that.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Yes you can if you want to. Though if you took capital distributions and got a tax break on dissolution you might want to consider whether the hmrc might just consider it is the same trade and whether that is consistent with any undertakings you may have given at the point of liquidation.

Comment

No restrictions, and assuming the previously company is completely dissolved, the new one can have exactly the same name (ie no need to add "UK"/similar at the end to differentiate it).

Legally speaking the new company would have no relation to the old one...but if you do go for an identical name, anticipate confusion every now and then. Eg someone does a Companies House search, finds the old one and without looking too closely takes address/similar details from it.

Personally I'd recommend going for a different name.

Comment

Is there any reason you want to use the old name?

Comment

Originally posted by TechJinx View Post
            Is there any reason you want to use the old name?
            +1 to that. The risks that come with using the same name don't seem worth it if you are keeping it just because you liked it or it's your initials. Start afresh and distance yourself from the old one IMO....
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X