• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mobile internet - 3G vs LTE on the train

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile internet - 3G vs LTE on the train

Is 4G/LTE any better than 3G on the train in and around London?

I have 3G. On the train, it sucks. I turn it off and use whatever is cached.

When not on the train, LTE seems to be awesome - guy at work with LTE got 20Mbps vs 2 Mbps for me on SpeedTest. Different network though.

Problem with being on a train is you will often be moving fast and moving between cell towers the handover can cause problems but this is small, most trainlines are in more rural roots so 4G won't be an option unless around major cities
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      Problem with being on a train is you will often be moving fast and moving between cell towers the handover can cause problems but this is small, most trainlines are in more rural roots so 4G won't be an option unless around major cities
      I understand and agree.

Wondering if 4G is better than 3G in the face of this problem around London (say zone 6 to zone 1 travel).

Comment

Originally posted by Optimus Prime View Post
        I understand and agree.

Wondering if 4G is better than 3G in the face of this problem around London (say zone 6 to zone 1 travel).
        4G is worse by design, Try different providers on 3G
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          4G is worse by design, Try different providers on 3G
          Interesting. Pointer to some place that explains this?

Comment

4g is OK but patchy. Much better than 3g on my commute anyway. EE have the best 4g coverage on commuter trains, I hear.
            Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by Optimus Prime View Post
              Interesting. Pointer to some place that explains this?
              It's basic science. The shorter the wave length, the more energy it takes to generate a signal and the shorter the wave length, the less distance the signal will travel. Eg, Long wave on your car radio will work for several hundred miles but a UHF on television will (generally) only work for less than 100 miles.

Your phone uses high frequency (almost microwave) digital signals known a square waves. Digital signals work over shorter distances than sine waves. The higher the frequency, more data can be transmitted. GSM works well over longer distances but is poor for data. At the other end 4G works over short distances and is great for data.

The problem is that SPs will only invest money where there is a lot of traffic, eg city centres and not out in the sticks or in downtown Weymouth.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Does 4G use higher frequencies? I thought it had been squeezed in around the existing band.

As an aside, I was returning on the Channel Tunnel on Monday and I noticed I was still getting a French network signal right up until the moment we emerged into sunshine in Folkstone. Apparently they did that for the Olympics (the French this is) but it's taken until this year for the British networks to do the same for the southbound side (I didn't think to check on the way out).

I never understand why it's so hard to target train lines. There's not all that many of them and obviously there's going to be a much larger number of people attempting to use a network where there's a train line than if it was just the residents of rural locations.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  Does 4G use higher frequencies? I thought it had been squeezed in around the existing band.

As an aside, I was returning on the Channel Tunnel on Monday and I noticed I was still getting a French network signal right up until the moment we emerged into sunshine in Folkstone. Apparently they did that for the Olympics (the French this is) but it's taken until this year for the British networks to do the same for the southbound side (I didn't think to check on the way out).

I never understand why it's so hard to target train lines. There's not all that many of them and obviously there's going to be a much larger number of people attempting to use a network where there's a train line than if it was just the residents of rural locations.
                  In the UK4G is 2.6GHZ, 3G is 1.9GHZ..ish

Comment

Working...
                  X