• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business Banking that sends statements by e-mail?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business Banking that sends statements by e-mail?

I do my company banking with HSBC at the moment, but am frustrated with not being able to have my statements emailed to me (I have to log in with my vasco token and pull them down myself - not helpful for automation!).

I'm past the point where I get free banking from them and would be willing to pay broadly the same fees to a competitor so long as they have a facility that e-mails my statement to me rather than be having to log in and get it.

So - if this is a feature you get with your bank, who do you bank with? :-D
    Last edited by 7specialgems; 4 November 2014, 13:07. Reason: spelling

I don't think any bank will email statements as it isn't considered secure enough.

Comment

CitiBank send our personal account statements as encrypted PDFs each month but I don't know if they do business banking or not.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
        I don't think any bank will email statements as it isn't considered secure enough.
        This.

Unless the bank is going to encrypt the file as well, then they won't touch it because the fine when they have a data breach would be high.

You'll just have to go on downloading them each month and then sticking them in Dropbox for the NSA to read the old-fashioned way, rather than have them hack your email and the encryption.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
          None of my banks offer this facility.

Comment

Out of interest, what is the automation you are hoping for as mentioned in the OP?

Comment

I use Crunch accounting and I bank with Cater Allen.

They have a 'bank bolt' service which means my bank statements are automatically loaded into the accounting software each month. I think this also works with RBS too and I'm sure Crunch can't be the only accountants that do this.

I still get my statements posted to me, but they just go straight for filing. I don't have to do anything with them.

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post

They have a 'bank bolt' service which means my bank statements are automatically loaded into the accounting software each month. I think this also works with RBS too and I'm sure Crunch can't be the only accountants that do this.

I still get my statements posted to me, but they just go straight for filing. I don't have to do anything with them.
                You can do the same with XERO too, then you just reconcile the account with the transactions you have entered. I don't bother to automatically reconcile mainly because my txns are so few so I don't know whether it is an improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post

This is true. There are two (that I'm aware of) third party providers who can provide bank feeds directly into your accounting system. Yodlee and Bankstream, I believe. There is a cost associated with this. We are in the process of developing an online solution and the company we are using tell me we can either use the third party process or, with the relevant permissions from the account user, we can download a csv direct from the bank on a bulk basis for all accounts we have permissions for. I've not gone into how this is possible yet as we are very early stage but I expect this can be automated. I don't imagine it'd be cost effective for an individual company though.

Comment

Remember any system that uses Yodlee means essentially hands over your login credentials as they don't have direct feeds, they use scraping.

Comment

Working...
                    X