• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

8 month bench, corporation tax installments due

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8 month bench, corporation tax installments due

Hi

i have been on bench for past 8 month, my corporation tax was due in summer.
    about 13k, spoke to HMRC and they agreed for me to pay in installment of £1300 monthly.

today i phoned them and asked if i can reduce to £500
    they took the payment but told me since it will take longer than 12 month to clear the payment
    it may not be possible. anyway im waiting for someone from hmrc to call me to discuss.

today having read this page ..

Contractor Doctor: I can’t pay my tax bill to HMRC – what are my options?

"Simister says that the trigger point for insolvency is when the contractor’s limited company cannot realistically repay the debt within 12 months. If this is the case, the solution for most contractors is to undergo a voluntary liquidation. This would involve them agreeing an affordable payment plan to clear their debt to the company, using a licensed insolvency practitioner who the contractor has chosen."

now im concerned about my options. and fear it may all get worse ..

has anyone been in the same situation ? or can advise what i can do to proactively avoid situation getting worse
    Last edited by junior contractor; 7 November 2014, 01:45.

The only advice I can offer is this: in the future, don't spend money that isn't yours.
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
      The only advice I can offer is this: in the future, don't spend money that isn't yours.
      But the OP is still doing that because they think they have 20k in the bank for 'day to day living'.

Comment

Do you have an accountant? If not, get one. If you do, get a different/better one. CT is not profit kicking around in your company a/c, it is not available for the company to pay to you (with the exception of loans and associated constraints). Your company will have been running with a negative balance for some time - wrong on various levels.

Again, get some competent professional advice. Hope it works out for you.

Pete.

Comment

Originally posted by junior contractor View Post
          Hi

i have been on bench for past 8 month, my corporation tax was due in summer.
          about 13k, spoke to HMRC and they agreed for me to pay in installment of £1300 monthly.

today i phoned them and asked if i can reduce to £500
          they took the payment but told me since it will take longer than 12 month to clear the payment
          it may not be possible. anyway im waiting for someone from hmrc to call me to discuss.

today having read this page ..

Contractor Doctor: I can’t pay my tax bill to HMRC – what are my options?

"Simister says that the trigger point for insolvency is when the contractor’s limited company cannot realistically repay the debt within 12 months. If this is the case, the solution for most contractors is to undergo a voluntary liquidation. This would involve them agreeing an affordable payment plan to clear their debt to the company, using a licensed insolvency practitioner who the contractor has chosen."

now im concerned about my options. and fear it may all get worse ..

has anyone been in the same situation ? or can advise what i can do to proactively avoid situation getting worse
          I'm not sure contracting is for you.

Have you tried to get permie roles?

Comment

Combining this thread with your other thread about JSA, there seems to be a simple solution here.

1) Recall the directors loan that is outstanding, which gives the company £5k to start to repay the money you owe to HMRC. This may cause some personal inconvenience in that your bank balance will drop to a mere £15k rather than the current £20k but I'm sure you'll manage somehow.

2) Repay as much of the debt to HMRC as you can now. Assuming you made three payments since the summer, your current HMRC debt is £9100. Repay the £5k from the directors loan account and you are down to owing £4100, which is then easily managed in eight / nine months by paying £500 a month.

3) Don't do it again.

I may be missing something, but the figures you have mentioned in your two posts combine to show how you can and should solve the mess.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
              Exactly, this situation is all of your own doing I wouldn't expect too much sympathy from HMRC
              In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by PeterF View Post
                Do you have an accountant? If not, get one. If you do, get a different/better one. CT is not profit kicking around in your company a/c, it is not available for the company to pay to you (with the exception of loans and associated constraints). Your company will have been running with a negative balance for some time - wrong on various levels.
                Agree with the latter part of the above. Re the first part, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. We've got a fair few clients in a pickle because they've withdrawn way too much, and they've been warned plenty of times from early on but ignored us. Possibly because they thought/think they know better, possibly because they (feel they) need the money privately and whilst they know it's wrong it's too easy to take it, possibly a bunch of other reasons.

Other posts in this thread make me think there's more to it than the OP is letting on though...

Comment

So you've messed up royally and are in some hot water so decide to try and fix it by asking a bunch of strangers on an internet forum? That's gonna sort it.

Other posts in this thread make me think there's more to it than the OP is letting on though...
                  You mean a lack of an accountant or something more sinister?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    You mean a lack of an accountant or something more sinister?
                    Maslins is probably speaking about this:

Originally posted by junior contractor View Post
                    situation is i have 40k outstanding debt ( corporation tax 12k, loan,and credit cards)
                    in my bank account i have 20k ( 15k borrowed from family and director loan from my limited company) which i have reserved for day to day living expenses and paying various debt installments.
                    This is what happens, when everyone and their dog deiced to start contracting
                    Last edited by sal; 7 November 2014, 10:00.

Comment

Working...
                    X