• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract terms for "flexible" working.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract terms for "flexible" working.

I have a contract coming up that involves my working variable number of days per week (based on the clients workload). We have agreed that the contract will cover a minimum of three days per week (i.e. I will bill for 3 days minimum, regardless of what I actually do) with additional time as required (e.g. when there is a major new release being worked on). I have actually been working indirectly with this client for 18 months via a third party and we have mutually agreed to transfer the contract in this way.

I am looking for some wording to add to the contract (or annex?) to cover myself for:
    - Ensuring that I will work remotely (from my own office) as theirs is further than I care to commute - already verbally agreed.
    - Establishing that a working day is 8 hours and the "minimum three" are taken from Monday-Friday as whole days, and that any additional is to be mutually agreed.
    - Establishing a rate for time outside of these hours. I don't want to be too onerous on this sometimes things need to be done early in the morning and I would be happy to simply shift my hours for this; but equally if I am required to attend a call or work at 8pm on Friday because the system is down then I need to establish if I bill for just the clock time, or for half a day and at what rate - just not sure what is reasonable (I am not going to be an arse here - a 15 minute call on a saturday I would not bill for, but 2 hours feels like I should be).

Is this the right place to ask this?

Cheers,
    Mono

Originally posted by monoceros View Post
    I have a contract coming up that involves my working variable number of days per week (based on the clients workload). We have agreed that the contract will cover a minimum of three days per week (i.e. I will bill for 3 days minimum, regardless of what I actually do) with additional time as required (e.g. when there is a major new release being worked on). I have actually been working indirectly with this client for 18 months via a third party and we have mutually agreed to transfer the contract in this way.

I am looking for some wording to add to the contract (or annex?) to cover myself for:
    - Ensuring that I will work remotely (from my own office) as theirs is further than I care to commute - already verbally agreed.
    - Establishing that a working day is 8 hours and the "minimum three" are taken from Monday-Friday as whole days, and that any additional is to be mutually agreed.
    - Establishing a rate for time outside of these hours. I don't want to be too onerous on this sometimes things need to be done early in the morning and I would be happy to simply shift my hours for this; but equally if I am required to attend a call or work at 8pm on Friday because the system is down then I need to establish if I bill for just the clock time, or for half a day and at what rate - just not sure what is reasonable (I am not going to be an arse here - a 15 minute call on a saturday I would not bill for, but 2 hours feels like I should be).

Is this the right place to ask this?

Cheers,
    Mono
    You would be well advised to join IPSE and take advantage of the contract templates available to members. I don't know if there is one that will suit you but there's a good chance that you can crib it from what is available.

You may already be a member for all I know so feel free to just go over and browse

As for the billing basis, work out what is commercially appropriate and balance it against how valuable your weekend free time is. That should enable you to arrive at a framework that is commercially acceptable to both you and the client.
    Last edited by tractor; 7 November 2014, 09:18.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
      You would be well advised to join IPSE and take advantage of the contract templates available to members. I don't know if there is one that will suit you but there's a good chance that you can crib it from what is available.

You may already be a member for all I know so feel free to just go over and browse

As for the billing basis, work out what is commercially appropriate and balance it against how valuable your weekend free time is. That should enable you to arrive at a framework that is commercially acceptable to both you and the client.
      Tractor, Malvolio has hacked your account.......
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

sure what is reasonable (I am not going to be an arse here - a 15 minute call on a saturday I would not bill for, but 2 hours feels like I should be).
        Don't look at it as charging a fortune, look at it as a deterrent for them calling you.

A 15 minute call is all well and good if you are sat in the house doing nothing, but if you are out with the missus/kids, at a football match, just sat down to a nice expensive meal, whatever, it will become more onerous.

Think like a business.

Comment

"The service will be performed at such locations as mutually agreed by <YourCo> and <ClientCo>. The service will normally be performed at the following location: <YourCo Address>"

"For a fixed cost, <YourCo> will provide up to three days of <whatever you do> per standard working week. <YourCo> will invoice <however often you do this> for the agreed working days. <YourCo> will invoice <however you will do this> for any additional work performed outside of the weekly time allocation on a time and materials basis at the rate of <your rate>"

"<YourCo> will be available to provide Services to <ClientCo> between the hours of <Start> and <End>, <days available>. Services which are provided outside these core hours of availability will be charged at a rate of <Newrate> / subject to a minimum charge of <charge>."

Something like that? Now, who do I invoice?
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
            Haha, no. ever since joining in 1999? I have always promoted PCG.

Even to this day, I am gobsmacked at the number of numpties who start contracting, open a company and have no clue about the risks or responsibilities they face as a director. This includes never having heard of IR35, Settlements or PCG/IPSE.

So I always point them in the direction of PCG and now IPSE. I don't often do it here because usually either someone else has done it first or the poster is beyond help and/or such an obvious manifestation of someone's latest schizophrenic imagination. I use the word imagination lightly though.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
              In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Something like that? Now, who do I invoice?
                Faqqer excellent, exactly what I was looking for - name a charity.

Comment

Tractor Foundation. TIA

Comment

NLadyUK Gender Reassignment Surgery Charity.. or was it repair. I forget.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X