• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Credit checks for IT contractot while in IVA/Bankrupt

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit checks for IT contractot while in IVA/Bankrupt

It's possible i may have to do an IVA/bankruptcy in the future.

Has anyone here been through this as a contractor as far as credit checks are concerned?

Through an IVA i can legally remain as a director (not so through bankruptcy).But my main query is around credit checks.

Are credit checks normally done only against the directors of companies only?

My accountant told me if i wanted i could instead appoint someone else as the director and make myself an employee - (and my take home pay would remain unaffected.)

If credit checks are normally only done against the directors of the limited company being used, the obviously that is a way of avoiding a credit check.

Normally who is teh credit check done against when a contractor uses an umbrella company (thereby not a director but an employee of that company)

Originally posted by Adecco;
    My accountant told me if i wanted i could instead appoint someone else as the director and make myself an employee - (and my take home pay would remain unaffected.)
    Don't know about any of the rest but that's wrong. Extremely wrong.

Comment

Are you sure it is wrong?
      I just reread the email from my accountant and he was quite firm in his belief.

Apparently i am still able to receive dividends and a salary - the only difference is being around NI. But he was quite sure it would have a negligible impact on my take home pay.

Comment

How can you receive Director's Dividends if you're not a Director?

Comment

Originally posted by Adecco View Post
          Apparently i am still able to receive dividends and a salary.
          Salary yes, dividends no if the company is insolvent, which is what I presume your OP meant.

Comment

Originally posted by borderreiver View Post
            Salary yes, dividends no if the company is insolvent, which is what I presume your OP meant.
            To clarify - The company is not insolvent - i personally am (or will be)

My accountant didn't state directors dividends - he just said dividends. I didn't query it past that.

But I just googled and it seems dividends are paid out to shareholders. So perhaps as an employee i would be the sole shareholder albeit not a director?
            Last edited by Adecco; 18 November 2014, 15:33.

Comment

My accountant didn't state directors dividends - he just said dividends. I didn't query it past that.

But I just googled and it seems dividends are paid out to shareholders. So perhaps as an employee i would be the sole shareholder albeit not a director?
              Hi Adecco

In theory you could be an employee and sole shareholder and not be a director in the company, however, you would have to be careful who you picked to be the director as they would have day to day control of the company. They would decide if interim dividends are declared (and their value) although you do have a right to propose and vote on a final dividend at the AGM.

Whether this would solve your problem of credit checks in an IVA/bankruptcy I'm not sure, I would imagine that most agencies/companies would want to know who has beneficial ownership of the company (that's you) and financial institutions would definitely want to know this if the company wanted to setup a new bank account for example.

Martin
              Contratax Ltd

Comment

As sole shareholder and employee, for many tax purposes you would be treated as a director having control of the company, rights to income and rights to assets on a winding up.

I suggest you speak with an Insolvency expert.

I can recommend one if you PM.

(I am not that person, nor do I work for them, nor do I get a commission for referrals).

Comment

If you are an employee, then you need to be paid NMW, which means a salary of somewhere in the region of £12k (I'm guessing from memory).

If you aren't paying a salary at the moment, then there will be an impact on your take home because you will be paying tax and NI on that salary.

In the past, I've had some agencies asking for confirmation that I was a director of the company, so make sure that not being a director actually helps you.

Finally, you need to be careful that you aren't seen to be in control of the company if you are declared bankrupt (IIRC).
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by ContrataxLtd View Post
                    Hi Adecco

In theory you could be an employee and sole shareholder and not be a director in the company, however, you would have to be careful who you picked to be the director as they would have day to day control of the company. They would decide if interim dividends are declared (and their value) although you do have a right to propose and vote on a final dividend at the AGM.

Whether this would solve your problem of credit checks in an IVA/bankruptcy I'm not sure, I would imagine that most agencies/companies would want to know who has beneficial ownership of the company (that's you) and financial institutions would definitely want to know this if the company wanted to setup a new bank account for example.

Martin
                    Contratax Ltd
                    Thanks. Its just a one man band limited company....so if i chose to go down this route i would just put a family member in as director.

Comment

Working...
                    X