• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rental Income and PAYE

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rental Income and PAYE

Hi,

On recently completing my self assessment I noticed that my personal allowance offset some of the net income I received from my rental property.

As a basic rate tax payer does this mean that if I pay myself for example £5000 pa salary and received £5000 net rental income I would not pay any tax?

Regards,

Paul

Originally posted by phayes View Post
    Hi,

On recently completing my self assessment I noticed that my personal allowance offset some of the net income I received from my rental property.

As a basic rate tax payer does this mean that if I pay myself for example £5000 pa salary and received £5000 net rental income I would not pay any tax?

Regards,

Paul
    IIRC you are allowed about £4000 rental income before paying tax on it, but there are deductions you can make (ie take the interest off, any building expenses, insurance etc).

One of the nice accountants will be along soon to give you the full details.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Hi,

Regards,

Paul
      Hi Paul

That's correct, you can earn £10,000 for 2014/15 before paying tax so if you had a salary of £5,000 and net rental income of £5,000 you would be fine here.

You may want to consider paying a larger salary if you have the choice so that you can ensure you earn a qualifying year for state benefit/pension purposes but that's off tangent.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      IIRC you are allowed about £4000 rental income before paying tax on it, but there are deductions you can make (ie take the interest off, any building expenses, insurance etc).

Simon, is the £4,000 you are referring to the rent a room allowance of £4,250 per annum? If so you can't deduct expenses from the rent for this and it has to be generated from renting a room in your personal residence rather than a typical rental property. If it's a typical rental property there isn't a 'standard allowance' you can earn before paying tax, other than where it is covered by the normal personal allowance.

Hope this helps

Martin
      Contratax Ltd

Comment

Thanks for that, I was going to mention about the state pension, would you mind telling me how much I would need to pay myself per annum to qualify for state pension.

I take it the sensible way to go would be to qualify for state pension and just pay tax on the rental income?

Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

Incorrect. It's all income and so the first 10k can be tax free as with normal income. So 5k salary and 5k rental would be fine.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by ContrataxLtd View Post
            Simon, is the £4,000 you are referring to the rent a room allowance of £4,250 per annum? If so you can't deduct expenses from the rent for this and it has to be generated from renting a room in your personal residence rather than a typical rental property. If it's a typical rental property there isn't a 'standard allowance' you can earn before paying tax, other than where it is covered by the normal personal allowance.

Hope this helps

Martin
            Contratax Ltd
            That could be where I am getting confused, cheers!
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Thanks for that, I was going to mention about the state pension, would you mind telling me how much I would need to pay myself per annum to qualify for state pension.

I take it the sensible way to go would be to qualify for state pension and just pay tax on the rental income?

Paul.
              Hi Paul

To earn a qualifying year you have to pay over £5,772 in salary for the year (2014/15) rates. Generally speaking it is worth ensuring you earn the qualifying year even if it means paying a little bit of tax on the rental profit.

Martin
              Contratax Ltd

Comment

Thank you very much.

Comment

Originally posted by ContrataxLtd View Post
                  Hi Paul

To earn a qualifying year you have to pay over £5,772 in salary for the year (2014/15) rates. Generally speaking it is worth ensuring you earn the qualifying year even if it means paying a little bit of tax on the rental profit.

Martin
                  Contratax Ltd
                  Isn't it over £5771? A salary of £5772 would be OK.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    Isn't it over £5771? A salary of £5772 would be OK.
                    Yes that's correct, a salary of £5,772 would be fine but nothing less i.e. £5,771.50 wouldn't be. I should have made this clearer in my original post.

Martin
                    Contratax Ltd

Comment

Working...
                    X