• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mitigating the risk of taking a contract starting [x] weeks down the line?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mitigating the risk of taking a contract starting [x] weeks down the line?

So, it's pretty well understood that if a contract gets pulled it's mostly tough luck. Now, that's fair enough (IMHO) and isn't a real major thing if, like a lot of contracts, it was signed on Monday and was due to start the next week or whatever.

But, this time of year, I'm starting to get calls from people who want me in Jan. It makes total business sense for both of us BUT, if I sign a contract tomorrow, can I mitigate against the risk of them pulling it from under me 3 weeks down the line?

Has anyone got any experience in this area?

You could try add a clause to the contract agreeing an amount to be paid should the contract fail to materialize..... but good luck with that.

IMO the delay between know and Jan seems pretty reasonable, I wouldn't really be bothered about an extra week or two before xmas. I can't really see the risk of a Jan gig being any more than one starting next week at this time of year IMO.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Just slow down the contract signing and return until January then.

You shouldnt be signing a contract tomorrow without it being reviewed anyway.

Get the contract submitted for review. By the time the reviewers get back to you with comments and amendments then discuss with the agent, it'll be Christmas so you wont get to sign until the New Year.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
        Just slow down the contract signing and return until January then.

You shouldnt be signing a contract tomorrow without it being reviewed anyway.

Get the contract submitted for review. By the time the reviewers get back to you with comments and amendments then discuss with the agent, it'll be Christmas so you wont get to sign until the New Year.
        That would probably work in some fictional world. Even if the ClientCo is willing to take the risk and let you stall, the Agent will most likely dump your application after 1 week of stalling and just tell the client you found something else and pulled out, a lie that will fit nicely with your stalling.

The chance of the contract falling through is much lower that the chance of losing the contract all together if you try to stall too much.

The best way to mitigate it is to negotiate a 1-2 weeks termination clause on your side and keep looking. If you find something else, evaluate your options and serve your notice should you decide to go with the new gig.

Comment

Actually it works for the real world.

I never turn up on-site until I've had my contract reviewed (usually 5 - 7 day turnaround unless it's urgent). No agent has dropped me because of it (although some pushed hard).
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

5-7 days while waiting for contract review is fine, just like i said (1 week). BB is calling for 3+ weeks of stalling, X-mas or no X-mas that's more than most Agents will put up with

Comment

Hmm.., true.

Though I really don't see this as an issue. I'm looking at contracts now and don't expect to be turning up until the New Year. If anything it gives my reviewer a bit of breathing space.

And if they do pull the contract, work is picking up and something else will come along soon enough.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Whats the difference in signing it now or in three weeks? Until you have your bum at a desk don't stop looking
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I guess the answer is suck it up and hope for the best, then

Comment

If it falls through, check your IPSE+ insurance which may well pay out.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X