• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ASP.Net / C# banking contract rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi folks,

Does anyone have any knowledge of the typical rates one can expect for ASP.net / C# work for the banking sector in the North West?

At one end of the scale I've been told HBOS will pay up to £450/day.
    At the other end of the scale I've been told Barclays will only pay up to £260/day.

The difference in rates doesn't make sense

Cheers
    MM

I guess they'll pay what they can get a away with. Unless you're going direct, you're seeing what the AGENT is offering, which can be a lot different to what the agent is actually getting from the bank !!! Remember they're in business to make a profit, not to help you get rich.

Also, some contracts are longer term than others and may pay less, or maybe one bank has a particularly high-profile high-budget project on.

PS. If you review the contract search regularly, you'll see that sometimes the same contract comes up advertised by different agents. If you're lucky they will publish the rate and some are wildly different, so you can see which ones are creaming off a big chunk of your fee before you get it. This may not be a problem for you per se as you may feel you're getting paid plenty, but the client will expect to get what they're paying for, which is often quite a lot.
    Last edited by oraclesmith; 14 September 2006, 08:19.
    It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Originally posted by MaineMan
      Hi folks,

Does anyone have any knowledge of the typical rates one can expect for ASP.net / C# work for the banking sector in the North West?

At one end of the scale I've been told HBOS will pay up to £450/day.
      At the other end of the scale I've been told Barclays will only pay up to £260/day.

The difference in rates doesn't make sense

Cheers
      MM
      Actually this is more common than you think.

It depends on the which profit centre you're in. If the dept is part of a trading group, then money is no object and they'll pay a lot to get "good" people (no that these good people are necessarily good, but the traders don't know that).

If there is a separate IT function that serves different units, especially things like asset management, then they'll push rates down.

Most banks pay well over the odds, they could do it a lot cheaper if they wanted, and some banks have twigged, and do employ at lower rates.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by oraclesmith
        I guess they'll pay what they can get a away with. Unless you're going direct, you're seeing what the AGENT is offering, which can be a lot different to what the agent is actually getting from the bank !!!
        Indeed. The rate game is mostly about the agent's rake-off, not about the rate for the job.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys...all good stuff.

I've actually been contracting for a number of years, just never worked in the banking sector.
          It appears that agents could have a field day with margins in the banking sector.

Cheers
          MM

Comment

That's why I am temporatily permie at an investment company ...

Experience and contacts will get you a good rate. Names are known in that particular clique.
            Vieze Oude Man

Comment

I'm taking a perm job because the rates are sh1te at the moment That is after the 6 month renewal at £300/day of course with the same company

*does happy dance*

I'm 1/3 of the way to Threaded
              Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Working...
              X