• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rent a Room and limited company contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rent a Room and limited company contracting

Hi,

I currently contract through a limited company and am considering renting out a room in my house - using the rent a room allowance. I'm confused, however, on how this affects the amount I can take out of the company and remain tax efficient.

One opinion seems to be that I would have to reduce the amount I took from the company in dividends - the logic goes that whilst I could earn up to £4,250 tax free through the rent a room scheme this still counts towards the higher rate tax threshold which is not affected by this extra 'allowance'.

Is this correct?

I'm pretty sure I've heard of others who are claiming dividends and earning an income via the rent a room scheme (perhaps by not declaring it on their self assessment return if they're earning < £4,250 annually?).

Many thanks

Andy

You are renting a room in your own house or you are renting out a room to someone else?
    Blood in your poo

Comment

Do you not understand the concept of "personal taxation"? You pay tax on whatever you earn, from whatever source. There's nothing magic about YourCo's money, other than it isn't your money.

Otherwise, what SS said...
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Do you not understand the concept of "personal taxation"? You pay tax on whatever you earn, from whatever source. There's nothing magic about YourCo's money, other than it isn't your money.

Apologies - clearly this was a stupid post (now edited by the way). I imagined, as have some other contractors I've spoken to incidentally, that given that the rent a room allowance provides for 'tax free' earnings over and above the personal allowance that this might also apply for limited company contractors - I.E. I'd still pay the same tax I currently pay on the same income and dividends I currently take.
        Otherwise it seems that the rent a room scheme, for me, would result in additional tax - unless I reduced my dividends from the company.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

OPs question seems legit to me. The RaR scheme lets you earn up to £4250 a year from renting out a room in your main residence and is exempt from tax. OPs question appears to be, is this exemption on top of the existing personal allowance for income tax and if so, is there any need for them to adjust their salary/dividends that they take from TheirCo to avoid paying any extra tax.

It would appear that Rent a Room would mean OP gets additional tax relief in addition to their normal personal allowance. So they could earn £4250 in rent, which is tax free, £10k (assuming they have full personal allowance) in income tax free (probably their main salary) and take the usual amount of dividends up to the higher tax rate threshold (about £31k or so).

Or does the £4250 still count towards gross earnings, even though it has special tax relief, thus reducing the amount of dividends that OP could take before reaching the higher rate threshold.

Logically, I'd assume that all income (salary, dividends and rental income) would be added together, you would then apply the personal allowance to your salary+dividends, the RaR relief against the rental income only and what is left is taxable, so I would assume that RaR income would reduce what OP could take in dividends before hitting the higher rate threshold.

That's not necessarily a bad thing though - OP still gets the same level of net income after applying RaR relief but gets to leave additional profit in their company for a rainy day.
          Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 5 January 2015, 18:30.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
            OPs question seems legit to me. The RaR scheme lets you earn up to £4250 a year from renting out a room in your main residence and is exempt from tax. OPs question appears to be, is this exemption on top of the existing personal allowance for income tax and if so, is there any need for them to adjust their salary/dividends that they take from TheirCo to avoid paying any extra tax.

It would appear that Rent a Room would mean OP gets additional tax relief in addition to their normal personal allowance. So they could earn £4250 in rent, which is tax free, £10k (assuming they have full personal allowance) in income tax free (probably their main salary) and take the usual amount of dividends up to the higher tax rate threshold (about £31k or so).

I think it still has to be declared on a self-assessment if OP already does one though.
            TCP is correct with additional complications if the property is jointly owned or main residence for only part of the year. The income, subject to limits and conditions are exempt from IT.

As with all things like this, consult a professional.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
              TCP is correct with additional complications if the property is jointly owned or main residence for only part of the year. The income, subject to limits and conditions are exempt from IT.

As with all things like this, consult a professional.
              Edited above; it still seems logical that rental income would still contribute towards gross income, even though its effectively exempt after applying RaR relief, thus reducing dividends before higher rate kicks in.

Surely this is something OPs accountant could answer with a quick email?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                Logically, I'd assume that all income (salary, dividends and rental income) would be added together, you would then apply the personal allowance to your salary+dividends, the RaR relief against the rental income only and what is left is taxable, so I would assume that RaR income would reduce what OP could take in dividends before hitting the higher rate threshold.
                My understanding has always been the opposite - the £4,250 is completely exempt and therefore has no effect on other allowances or rate bands. Therefore the amount of dividend that can be drawn at BR doesn't change.

Trying to confirm this quickly hasn't been easy, but see comments under SA200 at SAM121560 - Returns: individuals returns: rent a room for traders

if HMRC don't want receipts of less than £4,250 reported then inter alia the amount cannot effect tax liabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
                  My understanding has always been the opposite - the £4,250 is completely exempt and therefore has no effect on other allowances or rate bands. Therefore the amount of dividend that can be drawn at BR doesn't change.

Trying to confirm this quickly hasn't been easy, but see comments under SA200 at SAM121560 - Returns: individuals returns: rent a room for traders

if HMRC don't want receipts of less than £4,250 reported then inter alia the amount cannot effect tax liabilities.
                  Well, OP would be best listening to you or their own accountant rather than me, but I also had trouble finding anything to confirm either way. What you say makes sense though. If it doesn't have to be reported then it shouldn't affect anything.

Might be worth a call to HMRC to clarify, just in case?

Comment

If you use the rent a room scheme you simply tick a box on the satr. It makes no difference at all to your taxation. The money is exempt. Subject to the limits.

However the accom provided has to be within the scope of the scheme. Basically this means getting some cash from a notification n related 3rd party.

this excludes the more creative attempted usages like your business renting a room for its business use.

that was entirely successful until one of my numerous investigations.

Comment

Working...
                    X