• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Choosing between contract offers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choosing between contract offers?

Im indecisive sometimes, today being one of those times.

In the enviable position of having two contract offers, would appreciate some views, considerations about which you may choose and why, what would sway your opinion.

Agents margins play no part, both as far as im aware are minimum/fixed
    Locations no bearing, both same distance from home and accommodation costs

Contract 1 - 6 months (extensions unlikely), higher rate approx. £65pd (higher end of my rate scale)
    Small unknown financial company in a niche area for which I have a experience, hence demand driving rate negotiation & counter offers
    Easy contract, small project & well within comfort zone & overall accountability
    Friendly, less stress?

Contract 2 - 5 months (extensions likely), lower rate by approx. £65pd (low end of my rate scale)
    Large well known financial company, large programme, potential for extension 9, 12, 18? months
    More challenging role in unfamiliar area, opportunities to polish project and senior stakeholder skills
    Probably more stress?

The choice im struggling with is whether you chase the money or play the longer game, new challenges, improved skills and client. Contract 2 was my clear choice but the counter offer and rate differential has made me re-think.

My heart says Contract 2 and money isnt everything, but my head keeps thinking about 'losing' x per day/month - over 6-9 months? it could be £10k gross. That said should contract 2 continue long term the differential is wiped out having avoided a break between contracts.

Im so indecisive today ive even put together a weighted list of positives and negatives for both and still they come out pretty even

Someone suggested I come across as a 'bell end' on a thread the other day, no doubt at all now that I am
    Please feel free to flame but would appreciate some embers of advice or opinions re my decision.

Cheers
    Last edited by Barley; 6 January 2015, 14:27.

I've followed the money twice, and regret having done so. But then one can never tell what the outcome of the alternatives would be.

I'm in the mood of looking at the long game right now, if I were to have a choice between two roles. Hope that helps.

Comment

Bell end
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Some other things you need to figure into your equation are mostly commercial like
        • Ability to pay/corporate stability - have you carried out financials on both and compared them
        • Same for payment terms
        • Same for other commercial contract terms e.g. handcuff clauses etc.
        • Propensity for the larger client to foist immediate 10% rate cuts etc.
        • Plus I am sure many others.

"Please feel free to flame but would appreciate some embers of advice or opinions re my decision."

You haven't made a decision. You want us to make it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Bell end
          I know

Comment

Originally posted by Barley View Post
            I know
            You need to bone up on the theory of decision making. Start with AHP.

By the time you have read one page you will take the first contract and be done with it. Problem solved. You are welcome.

ps I hope none of your offers involve making recommendations

Comment

Which one makes getting the next contract easier....
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                Which one makes getting the next contract easier....
                Contract 2 which I think is what sways my decision, potentially opens up experience in a new financial services area rather than Contract 1 which is basic stuff but niche software.

Comment

If it's possible to do one remotely, you could take the two.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                    Some other things you need to figure into your equation are mostly commercial like
                    • Ability to pay/corporate stability - have you carried out financials on both and compared them
                    • Same for payment terms
                    • Same for other commercial contract terms e.g. handcuff clauses etc.
                    • Propensity for the larger client to foist immediate 10% rate cuts etc.
                    • Plus I am sure many others.

"Please feel free to flame but would appreciate some embers of advice or opinions re my decision."

You haven't made a decision. You want us to make it for you.

Thanks useful considerations which I think ive pretty much satisfied for both contracts, neither presents any sway and both acceptable terms.

Think ive now come to terms with the rate differential another factor was perhaps some guilt as being the preferred candidate for company 1 theyre now back to market to try and fulfil a small niche, that said you have to look after yourself and id not responded to their offer, which id been open about being subject to an alternate opportunity.

Comment

Working...
                    X