PDA

View Full Version : ARGGHH!!

stek
20th January 2015, 14:42
Instead of typing;

ls -l outputs/*

I esc-K, K'd to what I thought was the above previously typed command but pressed enter on;

rm -rf /outputs/*

instead....

Oh well, start again.....

DannyF1966
20th January 2015, 14:46
Still, could have been worse! Might have been the next directory up instead :suicide:

TheFaQQer
20th January 2015, 14:49
Have you checked the Recycle Bin?

stek
20th January 2015, 15:00
Have you checked the Recycle Bin?

I've got a whole Wall's Viennetta in the fridge, not Mint, I don't like the Mint ones. I'm checking that instead....

On top of that I'm on call this week, and thought it was next week, called twice last night and chewed off the firstliner screaming 'I'M NOT ON CALL!!!'. Oops....

mudskipper
20th January 2015, 15:02
I once typed * in the directory of the overnight batch jobs.
Thought 'oops' and pressed controlC, but it carried on and ran every single one of the bloody things. Payment runs, the lot.
The system admin wasn't very happy with me. :)

vetran
20th January 2015, 15:10
did an rm -rf at in the root once on an established system (been in a couple of years and had been under another engineer, my first time visiting), so I turned round and said so where is your backup I can rebuild to that it may take a while but we can get to this morning.

backup - oh that has never run, we were hoping you could fix that.....

cue pink face...

stek
20th January 2015, 15:13
Once did this on a Solaris box;

tar -cvf /export/home /backups/homes.tar

i.e. got the source and dest wrong way round, wiped everyone's home directory and ended up with an empty tar file. No tape backups, but I was young and carefree and had interesting hair and blamed it on somebody else.

Even now though, I stop and pause for quiet introspection when I use tar - like this;

tar............

sleep 60

./muse.sh

./pootimer.sh

echo Well Done stek, you now have 0.987% of the Maserati QP IV

cvf filename.tar /export/home

RSoles
20th January 2015, 18:58
got the source and dest wrong way round,
Ah yes, the classic dd fail.

I once got a weekend in Germany because someone did an rm -rf * at root level.

He said 'Well I know you told me not to do it, but I thought I'd give it a try anyway'. :cretin:

-Halcion days of mag tape and getting on a turboprop....

FiveTimes
20th January 2015, 19:02
Might be wise changing the alias for rm to be interactive so at least it would have prompted you

stek
20th January 2015, 19:59
Might be wise changing the alias for rm to be interactive so at least it would have prompted you

-f overrides the prompt though....

xoggoth
21st January 2015, 08:15
I once got a weekend in Germany because someone did an rm -rf * at root level.

Not quite sure how they did but got my highest paying contract because somebody once deleted lot of stuff on a military simulator I worked on a few years before and they had no backup.

d000hg
21st January 2015, 08:19
Thought 'oops' and pressed controlC, but it carried on and ran every single one of the bloody things. Payment runs, the lot.
The system admin wasn't very happy with me. :)It's the sysadmin's fault for allowing random people to run the payment run whenever they wish.

vetran
21st January 2015, 09:51
It's the sysadmin's fault for allowing random people to run the payment run whenever they wish.

you calling MS random?

unixman
21st January 2015, 10:04
The system admin wasn't very happy with me. :)

Have to watch out for that one.

In the past I have managed (somehow) to execute every command in the ~/.bash_history file. Every command up to the first "init 6", that is.

stek
21st January 2015, 10:17
Back in the day I was working on a remote VMS cluster, needed to reboot it (or part of it - memory letting me down) asked for conversational boot on restart, didn't restart....

Had to drive 160 odd miles to Sellafield and power it on again there. They also had all the keys in a little wall mounted combination locked box which was murder to learn to use, 4 back though 0, to 9, back through 0 the other way. Took me years to master it....