• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Major Blue chip...6 month contract..20/hr

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major Blue chip...6 month contract..20/hr

Is it worth it?

Blue Chip is a well known consultancy.

Surely that's down to your circumstances :-

1. Do you need the money ? Would £20 an hour make you happy or just tide you over ?

2. Do you need a blue chip on your CV and is it in the right target market for your skills.

3. Would you like the stability of 6 months and maybe a renewal ?

4. Is it with a reputable agent ?

5. Does the work reinforce your core skills or get you new marketable ones, or is it just crap ?

6. Are there any alternatives - like how often do you see a contract you can do, apply for it and have a good chance of being put through.

7. What's the job (going rate etc). It's about £38k per year gross (nb, not salary equivalent), so if thats for helpdesk then it's good, if it's for SAP then it's bad !

8. Likely to be inside or outside IR35. If inside, then you get even less in pocket.

9. where is it ? Much travel/costs to get there ? Cheap living ? Need to stay away from home ? London (rates) or elsewhere ?

10. How does it compare to your current rate ? Less ? If so, what could be the next rate you could ask for beyond that ? See 5.

etc
    etc
    etc

It's not that Excel VBA one is it ? In which case you might have some competition from flyingquant. Ask them if you can work from home.
    Last edited by oraclesmith; 15 September 2006, 18:33.
    It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Originally posted by BradNeedsYourHelp
      Is it worth it?

Blue Chip is a well known consultancy.
      No. Next.

Comment

Yeah, I used them and they still owe me 27 years pay. They're rubbish.

ooops, wrong thread.....sorry !

Comment

You imply that £20 of a "major blue chip's" money is somehow worth more or less than anybody else's £20. It also depends on what you'd be contracted to do.

Well, it's better than any of the following:
          (a) a kick in the balls
          (b) a poke in the eye with a blunt pencil
          (c) a nod or a wink to a blind horse

hth

tl

Comment

er..thanks for the advice. I guess the answer is, its a subjective matter when considering if its "worth it".

The job also states:

"cope maturely in a high pressure environment"

does that mean I am expected to keep my mouth shut as I am arse raped by some ****wit of a project manager?

This role looks like a glorified temp role to be honest - where overtime is compulsory.

Comment

If it's a per hour contract, overtime means extra cash so maybe not so bad. And it's only compulsory if it's in the contract.

"cope maturely in a high pressure environment" is an unusually wishy-washy contract deliverable. It probably just means "We don't want somebody like the guy we had to get rid of last week because he cried in the toilets and punched the receptionist".

If I had 10p for every team I've worked with that thought it was especially high-pressure, demanding or fast-moving compared to everybody else, I'd have retired long ago.

Worry not.

Comment

Some high pressure environments are that way simply because the dept is incompetent - ie. "we keep messing up and getting hammered by the users which means we get through a lot of staff and middle managers, so we're under a lot of pressure all the time" - well of course they are !

Comment

i concur

pressure = watching the muppet show while biting your lip

2c
                  jobjock www.dreamturbine.com

Comment

All depends on your circumstances, I personally wouldn't work for that right now, but if i had been on the bench for a while I may well take it to make ends meet.

Everywhere is a high pressure enviroment these days, fortunatly we are contractors. If the company does have problems it's the permies that feel the pressure not us contractors. We are just there to do our job (better than most permies) and get paid for it, not worry about the corporate bullsh*t that is flying around while we are there. I personally feel remarkably stress free while working in so called "High Stress" enviroments and it's not my balls on the line if it all goes tits up.

Comment

Working...
                    X