• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Not informing agent where your CV is

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not informing agent where your CV is

How do others handle the situation when an Agent calls about a role but you have already applied?

I would like to not inform the agent that my CV is already there but don't know what else to say apart from "I am not interested thank you", which would work but seem odd if I am a good fit.

"I've already been put forward. I can't remember the name. Sorry, got to rush for a meeting - thanks for your call, bye."

Comment

Originally posted by worzelGummidge View Post
      I would like to not inform the agent that my CV is already there
      Why not?
      I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

When I've said this before I've been told in response "oh, that's interesting as I/we actually have exclusivity with Client X, who put you forward?"

Reading that back, am I to guess that that's another agent 'line'?
        ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Perhaps I am just out of the swing of things, but...

If an agent rings reference company X and my CV has already been put forward for a role with X, in the past I have said that my CV is already there and then have found out in the past that I get "submitted" by the new agent and then there is a bit of a bun fight

I could say that I am not interested but if I actually live there, the role matches my experience and people like me are a bit thin on the ground then it just sounds odd.

Perhaps I am worrying about it too much.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
            When I've said this before I've been told in response "oh, that's interesting as I/we actually have exclusivity with Client X, who put you forward?"

It may be a line, or it may not be. Ask the second agent to confirm in writing that they are the exclusive agency involved. Then speak to the first one, and tell them what is being said, and get them to confirm in writing that they have the authority to represent you to the client, and have sent your CV over.

One of them won't do it - if it's the original one then get back to the second agency and get them to put your name in.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

In the past, I have had my application changed from one agent to another, with the second agent finding out where my CV has gone and somehow then representing me.
              Then the original agent finds out and it is a bit of a bun fight.
              I usually request a reference number but that does not seem to be the thing that is done anymore.

I have been out of this dealing with agents business for four years and all of the old tricks are starting to come back to me in a flash, but I never really knew how to deal with them.

Comment

Originally posted by worzelGummidge View Post
                Perhaps I am just out of the swing of things, but...

If an agent rings reference company X and my CV has already been put forward for a role with X, in the past I have said that my CV is already there and then have found out in the past that I get "submitted" by the new agent and then there is a bit of a bun fight

I could say that I am not interested but if I actually live there, the role matches my experience and people like me are a bit thin on the ground then it just sounds odd.

Perhaps I am worrying about it too much.

Cheers
                You don't have to say you're not interested. Tell them that you have just won a new contract but, as it hasn't been all signed off yet, you can't say any more about it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  It may be a line, or it may not be. Ask the second agent to confirm in writing that they are the exclusive agency involved. Then speak to the first one, and tell them what is being said, and get them to confirm in writing that they have the authority to represent you to the client, and have sent your CV over.

One of them won't do it - if it's the original one then get back to the second agency and get them to put your name in.
                  I had exaxtly this happen to me over a year ago. The first agent to call was the one trying it on. Second was completely up front, had an exclusive deal and sent me a copy of the email trail from the client appointing them as sole agent for the role.

I gave the other agent enough info to provide the same but strangely, they didn't and I heard no more from them

Second agent put me up for the role which I was offered and completed tyvm.

I did let the second agent know who the first one was too so I am sure the client was informed eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

Thanks TheFaQQer

Sounds like sound advice to me.

Comment

Working...
                    X