• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rate dilution bait and switch

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rate dilution bait and switch

Started a new role where the rate was higher than my previous one. I assumed the same hours per day but the new one in an extra hour which dilutes my rate to less per hour than previous. I didn't find out about the hours per day until I arrived. There are also other issues I am unhappy with which could constitute breach (role uses different tech to what I use and what is stated on my contract). Is it better to cut and run now without invoicing or hang around for a few weeks to work notice?

Originally posted by Unix View Post
    Started a new role where the rate was higher than my previous one. I assumed the same hours per day but the new one in an extra hour which dilutes my rate to less per hour than previous. I didn't find out about the hours per day until I arrived. There are also other issues I am unhappy with which could constitute breach (role uses different tech to what I use and what is stated on my contract). Is it better to cut and run now without invoicing or hang around for a few weeks to work notice?
    What does the contract say?

This is the wrong forum for serious questions. You should ask them in Contracts or Accounting.

Comment

How low is your rate that an extra hour makes you want to throw the towel in?

Re the different tech, surely it's not that hard to come to terms with a new type of burger flipper?

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
        How low is your rate that an extra hour makes you want to throw the towel in?

Re the different tech, surely it's not that hard to come to terms with a new type of burger flipper?
        Think about it, 5 hours a week extra, it's almost another day. I am at the stage of career where money is less important than conditions.

Comment

Think about it, 5 hours a week extra, it's almost another day. I am at the stage of career where money is less important than conditions.
          Just make up the time going for coffee and sitting in the bog then! Simples

Comment

They pull you up if you take too many breaks.

Comment

No brainer then, tell them to stick it up their arse.
              I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Happened to me once. My fault though. The contract said normal working hours - I assumed 40, and found it was 45. B*ggers had a clocking in system as well. Totally idiotic - they thought they'd get more work done, but people just goofed off more.

That's what we did - found a nice cafe round the corner, and had tea there, morning and afternoon. Without clocking off of course.

Simple.

1) Gather your personal belongs
                2) Leave
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by GlenW View Post
                  No brainer then, tell them to stick it up their arse.
                  find another role and leave, they are the sort of employer nobody needs.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    find another role and leave, they are the sort of employer nobody needs.
                    Oh for goodness sake... maybe I should move this back to general so that really appropriate responses can be made. "Employer" indeed.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X