• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving to the US

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to the US

My partner has recently been transferred to the US (NYC area but the role she is doing is home based so we could be anywhere in the US) and I'm currently looking at ways to join her over there now that I am wrapping up my UK contracts.

I have already taken US and UK financial/tax advice so I know what I am letting myself in for if I keep my UK LTD open or close it so the next step is trying to sort out work. I will be able to come over on a L2 visa and will have unrestricted access to the US job market so I'm trying to work out if contracting is still viable in the US or would going permanent be the only option? What are the best sites to look for contracts and perm roles (I have seen that JobServe have a US site)?

Thanks in advance.

ContractorUS.com??
    Google.com??
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      ContractorUS.com??
      Google.com??
      Very helpful NLUK

Would be good to have a US contracting section in the Contracting Overseas section of the site if we have enough SMEs here that can add to it.

Comment

The US doesn't really have a contracting market that's comparable to the UK, at least in my experience (and I caveat that by noting that I'm not in IT). In general, "contractors" are provided by larger consultancy companies or body shops to work on contracts at the end client, rather than as freelancers. That isn't to say there aren't freelancers in the US (for which many of the same structures exist in the US as the UK), but I wasn't aware of it being common. I'm not entirely sure why, but I believe the consequences of miss-classifying a worker as an independent contractor (vs. employee) are more significant, for example. You might want to PM MarillionFan, as I believe he works in the US as an IT permie and will be more familiar with the scene. I'm familiar with the US, but not with the IT contracts market.

Comment

The American model tends to be that if you are a good contractor, they will reward you with a permie offer.

That was enough for me.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Commuting from NYC to Los Angeles Monday to Friday would most likely be not feasible . Most of the contracts that I have seen advertised on Jobserve seem to be in a remote area which unless you happened to live in the town would require commuting.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              The US doesn't really have a contracting market that's comparable to the UK, at least in my experience (and I caveat that by noting that I'm not in IT). In general, "contractors" are provided by larger consultancy companies or body shops to work on contracts at the end client, rather than as freelancers. That isn't to say there aren't freelancers in the US (for which many of the same structures exist in the US as the UK), but I wasn't aware of it being common. I'm not entirely sure why, but I believe the consequences of miss-classifying a worker as an independent contractor (vs. employee) are more significant, for example. You might want to PM MarillionFan, as I believe he works in the US as an IT permie and will be more familiar with the scene. I'm familiar with the US, but not with the IT contracts market.
              ^This

Also don't make the common mistake of putting the entirety of US under the same banner - yes Federal law and regulations apply for all but the work ethic, culture, regulations and practices vary between the individual states. It bears much similarity to how EU Member states differ from each other within the EU.

Comment

From what I understand you're either a temporary employee or a permanent employee.

American contractors that I've known regard temp positions in the US as the same as a contract in Europe.

Most UK contractors go and work quite happily in Europe as temps because that is the normal way about going things. As long as your take home is OK no-one really cares.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  As they are serious about disguised employment they levy heavy penalties on the employer who employs disguised employees to avoid Social Security, rather than chasing and harassing the "victim".

Other factor is that being an employee in the US is very different in terms of employment rights. So they can hire people for any suitable period of time and let them go when they don't need them, without being labeled as the devil by lefties and evil top hatted Victorians as per the UK.
                  ftfy

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    As they are serious about disguised employment they levy heavy penalties on the employer who employs disguised employees to avoid Social Security, rather than chasing and harassing the "victim".

Other factor is that being an employee in the US isn't very different in terms of employment rights. So they can hire people for any suitable period of time and let them go when they don't need them, without being labeled as the devil by lefties and evil top hatted Victorians as per the UK.
                    I have seen this too and my partner has recently agreed to such an arrangement with her employer. An employee is usually employed "at will" so is similar to a contractor as there is no notice period required on either side - this is the same for most states including California What Are My Rights As An Employee?. As there is no employment contract any regulations are handled by the federal (US wide), state or local laws. I'm sure this is an attempt to reduce litigation but in practice I can imagine that it just raises more questions on the interpretation of the laws. I have also found this document from New Jersey that shows the difference between employees and independent contractors - http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/pens...pdf/ee0909.pdf

As BlasterBates mentioned as long as my take home pay is the same after tax then I don't care if I go perm or contract/temp as there are not that much protection provided to employees over independent contractors. Independent contractors still have contracts with clients which seem to be similar to what is used in the UK with a few oddities like surrendering Social Media connections - are agents in the US ICs? https://www.rocketlawyer.com/secure/...568&id=1297#q1

Comment

Working...
                    X