• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Solicitor for solvency declaration / closing bank account

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solicitor for solvency declaration / closing bank account

Hello,

I'm dissolving my limited company, and need a Declaration of Solvency sworn in the presence of a solicitor. Can anyone recommend a local practice somewhere in London, preferably around Liverpool Street/Bank, and an approximate idea of costs?

Also, what is the procedure for closing a business bank account? Do I simply transfer all the funds to the liquidators and call the bank? I'm concerned that if the bank balance is zero and the bank levies an administration charge what happens.

Thank you.

Originally posted by insomniac View Post
    I'm dissolving my limited company, and need a Declaration of Solvency sworn in the presence of a solicitor. Can anyone recommend a local practice somewhere in London, preferably around Liverpool Street/Bank, and an approximate idea of costs?

Also, what is the procedure for closing a business bank account? Do I simply transfer all the funds to the liquidators and call the bank? I'm concerned that if the bank balance is zero and the bank levies an administration charge what happens.
    Can't recommend any specific solicitor practice, but cost would typically be somewhere between £10-50. You're not getting any legal advice, so it'll typically be one of their most junior qualified solicitors who simply confirms they saw you sign that document and stamps accordingly.

Some liquidators may work differently so perhaps check with whoever's doing it. However, with MVL Online clients you wouldn't need to do anything with the bank. Once the liquidator is appointed, they effectively take full control of the company. Following that, they can write to the bank requesting transfer of funds and account closure...but do check with your liquidator how they'll work on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
      Can't recommend any specific solicitor practice, but cost would typically be somewhere between £10-50. You're not getting any legal advice, so it'll typically be one of their most junior qualified solicitors who simply confirms they saw you sign that document and stamps accordingly.

Some liquidators may work differently so perhaps check with whoever's doing it. However, with MVL Online clients you wouldn't need to do anything with the bank. Once the liquidator is appointed, they effectively take full control of the company. Following that, they can write to the bank requesting transfer of funds and account closure...but do check with your liquidator how they'll work on this.
      Great, thanks for the information. Just one quick follow-up point, can the Declaration of Solvency be sworn in front of a notary? Or does it need to be a solicitor?

Thanks.

Comment

My understanding is a notary public is basically a qualified solicitor with extra exams done after that. Ie all notaries are solicitors, but not all solicitors are notaries.

I believe a notary public is therefore fine for this purpose.

Comment

Sent you (OP) a pm

Comment

Working...
          X