• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Changing Limited Company Name

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Limited Company Name

Hi

Apologies if this has been posted before. I tried searching and couldn't really find what I was looking for.

I have been contracting for many years now and have finally found a little side business that I am looking to get off the ground in the next month or so.

Based on this assumption, I was thinking of changing my limied company name and my accountant has offered to do this for me for £200+VAT. I just wanted to ask if this is a reasonable amount considering just changing the name is about filling in a form and sending it to companies house for a small fee of around £15- £30 I think. I could be wrong so thought I would ask here :-)

Sounds steep yes!

Comment

Seems quite high to me for the work that is involved.
      Will they also be informing HMRC, Companies House and you bank for you too.

As an example I would not be looking to charge more than the actual fee involved if already paying a fixed fee for accountancy services.

Comment

DIY.
        Theres a form on companies house.
        Doesnt cost much.
        I did it myself after a domain name became available that wasnt available when I first reg'd

Comment

quick google :-

Form is NM01
          https://www.gov.uk/government/public...pany-name-nm01

I would now be looking for a new accountant if he was going to rip me off that much.

Comment

Thanks guys. I did think they were being steep! At least I know I'm not going mad, not yet anyway!!

Might be worth sounding out some new accountants too!

Edit: This is what I get for my money:

If you actually want to change the name of your limited company, we would charge you £200 + VAT. This would include lodging the change of name with Companies House and HMRC (for Corporation Tax, VAT and PAYE purposes) and preparing the necessary Resolution. We would be able to do the work within one week of being instructed.
            Last edited by shailesh1; 18 February 2015, 13:45.

Comment

Originally posted by shailesh1 View Post
              Thanks guys. I did think they were being steep! At least I know I'm not going mad, not yet anyway!!

Might be worth sounding out some new accountants too!

Edit: This is what I get for my money:

If you actually want to change the name of your limited company, we would charge you £200 + VAT. This would include lodging the change of name with Companies House and HMRC (for Corporation Tax, VAT and PAYE purposes) and preparing the necessary Resolution. We would be able to do the work within one week of being instructed.
              So how much do you charge for a day's work then...?
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by shailesh1 View Post
                Hi

Apologies if this has been posted before. I tried searching and couldn't really find what I was looking for.

I have been contracting for many years now and have finally found a little side business that I am looking to get off the ground in the next month or so.

Based on this assumption, I was thinking of changing my limied company name and my accountant has offered to do this for me for £200+VAT. I just wanted to ask if this is a reasonable amount considering just changing the name is about filling in a form and sending it to companies house for a small fee of around £15- £30 I think. I could be wrong so thought I would ask here :-)
                I recently changed company name. The accountant charged me £30 and they did it all - informed HMRC, etc.

Comment

£30? Now that's very reasonable. I'm on the lookout for a new accountant now. These guys are just trying to rip me off!!

Comment

£200 isn't cheap but it's not especially unreasonable depending on your SLA. We operate on a monthly fee basis mostly and we wouldn't charge those clients anything for this other than the Companies House fee. However, if this was for an "ad-hoc" or year end only client, we might take the view that there would need to be a charge. bear in mind, its not just the CH form, there's a resolution required, statutory books need to be updated and all the other HMRC offices need notified too. That said, it's an admin task and not a very big one at that so £200 is a bit hefty.

Comment

Working...
                    X