• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to make the next step?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make the next step?

Ok, been contracting for about 5 years now and gigs have fallen into one of two types:
    • Small project, typically under 25 people in total where I cover my aspect end to end (Service Transition), this includes the hands on release and config roles, day to day support as well as governance, which for a small team is generally not a problem as its easy to get everyone on board even if you have to detail things to them individually, the team is small enough so that’s possible.
    • Large scale Progammes with 100+ where typically I am sold as above, but it turns out I am a small cog in a bigger mechanism where I don’t have the clout to make what I see are necessary improvements.

What I want is to move to more of the latter where I have the remit to push through the ideas which I know work, but have never had the chance to implement or show what I can do, this will start with applying for Service Transition Manger roles rather than the hands on roles I have been doing and hope that I fall into a wider remit.

I can either do this as a Permie for a few years and get something under my belt, or try to keep doing it as a contractor, getting my ITIL Expert badge and going about it that way (before you all start I know qualifications mean nothing but in these roles ITIL Expert is seen as a pre-requisite) which would mean moving from the Capability workstream I have done in the past to the Lifecycle, I think I can justify enough to put through the books as training (its refreshing the current area of work rather than branching out into something new).

If I go permie what would be the options for putting the company on ice for a financial year or two, could I just stop paying myself a salary and keep say small pension contributions to tick things over and submit a nil return for sales etc? What experience have people got from moving upto the next stage, not doing this for money, both of the options above would actually see me being worse off in the short term as rate wise I am comfortable with what I am getting at the moment, especially for non-London gigs, but obviously I know if I do make the jump in responsibly it would also mean a jump in daily rate too so long term I would be better off.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

TL;DR
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      TL;DR
      I am after advice on how to be more successful so no need for you to to comment now, save it for something to read when you are benched next time!

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

You are going permanent which by definition means no longer using your company so you could close it, take entrepreneurs relief at 10% tax to extract what is in it and create a new company when you actually need it.

As for your pension just take a larger amount from your permie job and use your savings to cover some of your living costs...

As for how you get there as a contractor unless you hit lucky (see Cojak) you probably can't...
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          I am after advice on how to be more successful so no need for you to to comment now, save it for something to read when you are benched next week!
          ftfy

Comment

I am after advice on how to be more successful so no need for you to to comment now, save it for something to read when you are benched next time!
            Are you saying he isn't a suck-cess-full ?

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              You are going permanent which by definition means no longer using your company so you could close it, take entrepreneurs relief at 10% tax to extract what is in it and create a new company when you actually need it.

As for your pension just take a larger amount from your permie job and use your savings to cover some of your living costs...

As for how you get there as a contractor unless you hit lucky (see Cojak) you probably can't...
              But do I want to go through the hassle of closing and starting again for what could effectively only be two half years, and I don't think Cojak was lucky, she is just very good at what she does!

Comment

But do I want to go through the hassle of closing and starting again for what could effectively only be two half years, and I don't think Cojak was lucky, she is just very good at what she does!
                Closing your company all but removes the risk of IR35 investigation for those contracts. You can also extract your dosh at 10% ER. And you don't have any of the accountancy/paperwork to worry about.

Comment

No but by luck I meant it was right time (she was available), right place (a former colleague was recruiting and knew she could do it)...

And exactly how much hassle is opening a company.....

Comment

closing it will be easier than doing the paperwork for 2 years. with the tax its a no brainer. I have done both and wish I had closed earlier.

starting a new one up in 24 hours for less than £100 is possible.

and as mentioned above once HMRC say you can close it you can be fairly confident IR35 is a memory.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X