• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fiddlesticks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fiddlesticks

Agency called and client has offered extension however its 2 months not 3 as discussed. The plan was a 3 month extension taking me to end of June build up the warchest then take summer (2 months) off and fix up house. This 2 monther takes me to end of May which makes a longer break until i get something else (Aug). I have found getting contract in Kids Summer hols is a polaver. Warchest doesn't look amazing either so if finish up here end of May will probably look for something else.

I am contemplating looking about for something longer but the lure of an easy extension here is very very tempting. Will try and talk up the end client into a 3 monther and see what happens. They have mentioned FTC once contract ends and i will politely turn that down.

I was looking forward to the summer off but this put the kybosh on that.

I can't help thinking if one month is such a problem should you even be considering taking time off? What if you can't get anything after you've done the house up? Not sure if you are after advice or just a nice warm fuzzy cuddle.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 23 February 2015, 14:37.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincepie View Post
      Agency called and client has offered extension however its 2 months not 3 as discussed. The plan was a 3 month extension taking me to end of June build up the warchest then take summer (2 months) off and fix up house. This 2 monther takes me to end of May which makes a longer break until i get something else (Aug). I have found getting contract in Kids Summer hols is a polaver. Warchest doesn't look amazing either so if finish up here end of May will probably look for something else.

I am contemplating looking about for something longer but the lure of an easy extension here is very very tempting. Will try and talk up the end client into a 3 monther and see what happens. They have mentioned FTC once contract ends and i will politely turn that down.

I was looking forward to the summer off but this put the kybosh on that.
      Never works out as planned. Can guarantee if you fancy some time off the contract will want to extend. If you dont want time off you'll be on the bench.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I can't help thinking if one month is such a problem should you even be considering taking time off? What if you can't get anything after you've done the house up? Not sure if you are after advice or just a nice warm fuzzy cuddle.
        Thanks for the cuddle. I hate to say but you're right... I spunked everything to buy the house just before Christmas and if i tart it up i leave the warchest lets just say slightly perilous. I need to get my nut down, invoice like a beast and MTFU

I might change the summer off for a week in tropical Clacton instead

Comment

Another poster that sees the war chest as a savings pot. I smell a 'spent my tax money and can't pay' post coming soon.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You may have a client who has to go to higher management to justify every single extension.

So you could have extensions of a variety of lengths so don't automatically assume that you will get your summer off.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Another poster that sees the war chest as a savings pot. I smell a 'spent my tax money and can't pay' post coming soon.
              Yeah i spunked the lot i havent a clue what i am doing, do i opt in or out....

Comment

Oh yes I think so too.

Ever look on some of the business forums? Full of people who do that.

My own brother did so and now seems to think we should all feel sorry for him that he nearly went to jail and big bad HMRC are making him pay the backlog. Forget about the years he paid zero tax and spend every penny in the pub on the lash every night.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

What nluk said. It sounds like your "warchest" is too small. If you are looking to take months off here and there as soon as your savings/surplus allows, this is not very sensible and may put your livelihood at risk. If possible, build up the warchest so it can cover you for a year at least, then sit back and enjoy years of security.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                    What nluk said. It sounds like your "warchest" is too small. If you are looking to take months off here and there as soon as your savings/surplus allows, this is not very sensible and may put your livelihood at risk. If possible, build up the warchest so it can cover you for a year at least, then sit back and enjoy years of security.
                    Yeah the warchest is only about 6 months and as much as i want the summer off i need to keep going until I have at least a year I reckon. I pulled a risky move financially to get the house and 6 months warchest simply isn't enough and too risky.

Just to put your minds at rest I have all my tax liabilities set to one side and things are run as they should be.

I now have been offered the 3 month extension (pending the contract) and looks like i will be fishing for another in June

I think a half decent holiday will sort me out and stop all these flights of fancy of months off.. I think I will book something to cheer me up

Comment

Working...
                    X