• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Racking up debts before you die

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Racking up debts before you die

Based on this thread, but not wanting to derail it... http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...n-you-die.html

So if you know you are dying what's to stop you taking on massive debt - buying your family nice cars and clothes and going on an epic "see the world before you die" as a way to be nice to yourself and your loved ones - making sure the debt dies with you?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Based on this thread, but not wanting to derail it... http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...n-you-die.html

So if you know you are dying what's to stop you taking on massive debt - buying your family nice cars and clothes and going on an epic "see the world before you die" as a way to be nice to yourself and your loved ones - making sure the debt dies with you?
    Seems like a plan to me, now I just need to get some terminal illness.
    I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

It would put Parky and June Witfield out of work if all pensioners thought "**** it, i'll just grab a Wonga loan to pay for me Co-op funeral"

Comment

I have often wondered this, I am glad I'm not the only one

Comment

Originally posted by GlenW View Post
          Well yes. And you need to find out early enough you have time to do something - but lots of people do end up in that position. My grandfather is 99 and finally going soft in the head for instance, but my father was told flat out "you're going to die" when he was still (relatively) well, and other than some unusual complications could have lived (relatively) normally for several months.

Comment

Originally posted by GlenW View Post
            Don't worry. You'll get one sooner or later.

The problem is by the time you find out you're definitely going to die, you'll probably be too ill to really enjoy yourself. So better to rack up the debts whilst you're still healthy.

But yes, I probably would.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

You won't get into heaven.

Comment

It's part of the basic premise in Staying Alive by Matt Beaumont - given a few weeks to live, he goes to a loan shark and borrows money from them
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
                  You won't get into heaven.
                  Who won't? I didn't say I planned to do it - I have life assurance - but can you? You would probably have to lie to get any loans/new credit-cards after diagnosis but would probably get away with it since I don't think your illness would be entered on a national database? But as for existing credit-cards, many of us could get £20k+ if we maxed them out. So I'm not sure if you even ARE breaking any laws in that case?

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                    I have often wondered this, I am glad I'm not the only one
                    Same - like a lot of people I've got a Credit Card that has slowly auto-increased its credit limit over the years and I'd certainly be tempted to max it out if I knew I was going to die.

Mind you, if you miraculously survive you may have some issues.

Comment

Working...
                    X