• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reference letters in contractors (as opposed to permie world)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reference letters in contractors (as opposed to permie world)

In permiedom world reference letters are normally provided by the HR department and include only name, job title and start and finish dates. Contractors are business to business relations so usual HR rules do not apply (or do they?)
    1. So, do you normally ask your client to provide a two-page testimonial letter at the end?
    2. Are your former clients allowed to provide more information than just dates and job title to your new client?
    3. Is it regulated somehow?
    4. What are the best practices?

Originally posted by Ltd View Post
    In permiedom world reference letters are normally provided by the HR department and include only name, job title and start and finish dates. Contractors are business to business relations so usual HR rules do not apply (or do they?)
    1. So, do you normally ask your client to provide a two-page testimonial letter at the end?
    2. Are your former clients allowed to provide more information than just dates and job title to your new client?
    Friday lols!

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
      Friday lols!
      Am struggling to even find this funny. It actually makes me want to cry.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Can I have any sensible answers please?

Comment

Can I have any sensible answers please?
          Depends. Do you have any sensible questions?

Comment

No

Probably

I doubt it, although the laws of slander, libel and malicious falsehood would apply.

None that I'm aware of.

HTH
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I have written refs from all of my first 13 years contracts.

Lately though and for the latter 12 years of my contracting careeer, it seems people prefer to provide recommendations on Linked In readily enough although nowhere near as readily as they used to.

It helps if someone in the chain above you is also a contractor - they are usually disposed to be helpful - assuming of course that you are deserving.

Comment

If I am requested by an agency for references I usually pass on the details of my line manager for the last few contracts I have completed.

Comment

Originally posted by TopCat1802 View Post
                  If I am requested by an agency for references I usually pass on the details of my line manager for the last few contracts I have completed.
                  Bet the client managers love you for doing that when they start getting spammed by the agents. Give them you last agents details. Giving them client managers is exactly what they want so never stop with the references thing. Don't do it anymore.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

LinkedIn or in rare cases a testimonial I can use for my website.

I've often been tempted* to set up a premium rate number for references and use that to capture the request for a reference before asking a friendly former manager to reply by email.

*This is understated humour before northernlad chides me for not knowing the regulations around premium rate numbers.

Comment

Working...
                    X