• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's Cameron's game with the TV debates?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's Cameron's game with the TV debates?

BBC News - Election 2015: Cameron agrees to just one TV debate

I could see his point with earlier complaints but isn't he risking alienation and looking scared?

I wonder what his real reasons are - genuinely doesn't want to 'waste' the time, genuinely has a moral objection, or is worried he will look bad? Surely he can at least hold his own in a debate after all those years doing PMQ and so on...

Anyone got a theory that makes sense?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

They will be a farce, complete feck up inviting everyone along. He is doing the absolute minimum necessary which is a wise move and it gives the impression that he is in charge.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      They will be a farce, complete feck up inviting everyone along.
      That's as may be but...
      He is doing the absolute minimum necessary which is a wise move and it gives the impression that he is in charge.
      Isn't he playing a risky game? Younger voters especially are likely to see it as elitist and "another example of politicians ignoring the public".

And also, why drop out of the 1-2-1 debate with Milliband? That's the only one which could be a proper debate.

Comment

He looks like a total coward, this is a major screw-up by him or whoever advised him.

Comment

He is scared I am sure.

Based on the Nick Clegg bounce he received after the last live TV debates, he is I am sure scared of how this will affect him and his party. He also wants these before major election campaigning starts so that he has time to mitigate any 'bad' reviews.

IMO of course

Comment

I don't know what game he is playing, I suspect he just wants to call the tune so he wants to make the broadcasters court him then the debates are on his own terms.

The broadcasters have had their answer and if I were them, I would say to him 'thanks but no thanks', cut all dialog with him now and play him at his own game.

Then see how quick he is to queue up to debate. Then exclude him

Comment

It is all a bit weird. A seven way debate is just going to be bizarre; nobody will be able to remember what anybody said. I could understand if he said he'd only take part in Cameron vs Milliband, as that's the only contest that matters, and as said he does that all the time in PMQ's anyway so can hardly be accused of being scared of a lightweight like Milliband.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Stall it long enough and then try and say well I was willing to participate
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

He could spend all his time complimenting the Green and SNP policies as a way to split Labour votes.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    He could spend all his time complimenting the Green and SNP policies as a way to split Labour votes.
                    And Milliband will do the same with UKIP.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X