• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV getting too long

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV getting too long

Due to the number of contracts I have now completed my CV is now 5 pages (including my permie work), Is this ok or should I remove the details of earlier contracts and just put dates? I have keywords skills at the top so agents don't have strain their little brains.

Originally posted by Unix View Post
    Due to the number of contracts I have now completed my CV is now 5 pages (including my permie work), Is this ok or should I remove the details of earlier contracts and just put dates? I have keywords skills at the top so agents don't have strain their little brains.
    IMHO 5 pages is too long.

2 I reckon. Yes, for stuff years ago, its not that relevant - jsut put dates.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

All 5 pages demonstrate the exact skills for the role you are applying for? If not it doesn't need to be there.

All the client (and agent if they understand it) needs to know is if you can do the gig in hand. Anything else above and beyond that doesn't add any value IMO.

Agree with PC.. If I was presented with a 2 pager that has nothing but what I want to see and 5 pager rattling on about all sorts it's a no brainer.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks guys, I have removed all detail from more than 5 years ago so it's down to 3 pages. All relevant skills are still in there.

Comment

Thanks guys, I have removed all detail from more than 5 years ago so it's down to 3 pages. All relevant skills are still in there.
          Sounds more like a Boom generating CV now! Banana's at the ready.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Sounds more like a Boom generating CV now! Banana's at the ready.
            Contract ends 31st of March so preparing for the next one.

Comment

I find it funny you ask such a question especially after so many contracts on your CV !

Not attacking you, but like ....

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
                I find it funny you ask such a question especially after so many contracts on your CV !

Editing something that works is always a risk. Best to just ask for advice.

Personally I keep a lot of things on my CV going back years just to show I've been doing we development for 21 years..
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  Editing something that works is always a risk. Best to just ask for advice.

Personally I keep a lot of things on my CV going back years just to show I've been doing we development for 21 years..
                  After the last contract my CV hit the 5 page mark, so decided it was time to trim it. I have left all the contracts I have ever done in with dates and tech used, but I removed the detailed text of the projects etc for anything over 4-5 years, client never asks about those anyway.

Comment

What keyword skills do you have? I thought that was more the agent's job.

5p sounds long to me. If you can get everything relevant in 1-2 pages and then have another 1-2 pages they can look at for further background, but don't need to, that would work.

Have you asked SY01 for advice on this?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X