• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taking the plunge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking the plunge

Morning Guys,

As a newbie wanted to going contracting but being too much of a Chicken to do it because of the initial financial risk i'm keen to understand how you made the transition from the permie world to the free world of a contractor ?
    Last edited by eddie1507; 15 March 2015, 10:20.

Originally posted by eddie1507 View Post
    Morning Guys,

but too much of Chicken
    I can help you with that

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
      I can help you with that

hahaha my bad that made me chuckle.

Comment

Morning Guys,

As a newbie wanted to going contracting but being too much of a Chicken to do it because of the initial financial risk i'm keen to understand how you made the transition from the permie world to the free world of a contractor ?
        A few questions:

- Do you have a warchest?
        - Which technology?
        - Family support etc?
        - In demand tech?

to the free world of a contractor ?
        Don't get carried away. It has it's own bureaucracy.

Accounts, expenses, company management, IR35, Agencies, Agents etc ...

Spend some time reading the guides to the right.

HTH

PS - Beware of NLUK in non-general sections and Suityou01 in General.
        PPS - Cojak is very helpful though.

Comment

Thanks for the response FatLazyContractor, please see the below quote for updated info...

I know it need's to be my decision at the end of the day but i'm unsure how people do the transition, do they take the risk ? or is it a more strategic move ? I have been looking at calculators for a while now and benchmarking againist ITJOBWATCH it would take me 3.5 months of a contract at £400 a day to make what i currently do in a year !

When you think about it like that it does just seem a no brainer, for me at the moment I have no kids and a partner who is understandable that I could do it for 3/4 years pay a bulk off the mortgage and when kids do come along gives me options to spend that quality time with them..

A few questions:

- Do you have a warchest? - I have around 1 / 2 months worth of bills
          - Which technology? - Integration (BizTalk / SOA)
          - Family support etc? - Yeah I could rely on my parents if needed however i would prefer to fall on credit for a month if needed as currently I have Zero debt (Par Mortgage)
          - In demand tech? - Yeah it seems the market for BizTalk consultants is a niche and constantly getting calls from PIMP's regarding this, the only problem being 1 months notice period tends to put the agencies off..

Comment

Should I move this somewhere it won't get flamed?

Or should I just let this chicken sizzle?

Or are we all too hungover to care?
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I know it need's to be my decision at the end of the day but i'm unsure how people do the transition, do they take the risk ? or is it a more strategic move ? I have been looking at calculators for a while now and benchmarking againist ITJOBWATCH it would take me 3.5 months of a contract at £400 a day to make what i currently do in a year !:
              Yeah, after Corp tax, VAT and personal tax, accountant's fees...
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Thanks for the response FatLazyContractor, please see the below quote for updated info...

I know it need's to be my decision at the end of the day but i'm unsure how people do the transition, do they take the risk ? or is it a more strategic move ? I have been looking at calculators for a while now and benchmarking againist ITJOBWATCH it would take me 3.5 months of a contract at £400 a day to make what i currently do in a year !

When you think about it like that it does just seem a no brainer, for me at the moment I have no kids and a partner who is understandable that I could do it for 3/4 years pay a bulk off the mortgage and when kids do come along gives me options to spend that quality time with them..
                Have a look at the search results below and read what some posters say

http://forums.contractoruk.com/searc...030&pp=&page=2

I personally left my permanent role with a year's warchest and started looking around. I found a contract in 8 days. After the first contract, I had to wait for 2.5 months on the bench before the second!

Some people struggle to find contracts for months. It is all about skillset, availability (role and contractor) etc.

HTH

Comment

Have a look at the search results below and read what some posters say

http://forums.contractoruk.com/searc...030&pp=&page=2

I personally left my permanent role with a year's warchest and started looking around. I found a contract in 8 days. After the first contract, I had to wait for 2.5 months on the bench before the second!

Some people struggle to find contracts for months. It is all about skillset, availability (role and contractor) etc.

HTH

Thanks for the comment, its appreciated do you mind me asking what your skillset is ?

Comment

Why not try the fourth option and help

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    Should I move this somewhere it won't get flamed?

Or should I just let this chicken sizzle?

Or are we all too hungover to care?

Comment

Working...
                    X