• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pensions and ISAS - Reminder

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pensions and ISAS - Reminder

This week is a Bank Holiday so you've only got up until the 2nd (not the 5th this year) to make sure you've topped up your pensions and taken out your ISAS. Don't get caught out.

MF in helpful mode.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    This week is a Bank Holiday so you've only got up until the 2nd (not the 5th this year) to make sure you've topped up your pensions and taken out your ISAS. Don't get caught out.

MF in helpful mode.
    Never mind that - today is my year end so do I transfer a big wedge into my co. pension or keep the money & take the hit?

Comment

MF in helpful mode.
      One step ahead of you! I am waiting for Tuesday as I have maxed out this years ISA and having it sat in my regular savings account is too tempting
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

MF in helpful mode.
        Although if you were being really helpful you would say that you need to move it into anything other than a cash ISA, as with the new rules there is no longer a disadvantage keeping cash in a normal account

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Just wondering whether it's worth going overdrawn for a week to get up to the ISA limit for the year.

Probably is.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            Although if you were being really helpful you would say that you need to move it into anything other than a cash ISA, as with the new rules there is no longer a disadvantage keeping cash in a normal account

Actually just found that Standard Life will be open on Friday. Still waiting for the funds to come in from a remortgage which should land tomorrow, then I'm making a payment of £112K to standardlife, government will put £28k to top it to £140k and I get back a tax rebate of £35k in May from my self assessment.

£63k for nothing. Sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              Just wondering whether it's worth going overdrawn for a week to get up to the ISA limit for the year.

Probably is.

I think it is.

Comment

Actually just found that Standard Life will be open on Friday. Still waiting for the funds to come in from a remortgage which should land tomorrow, then I'm making a payment of £112K to standardlife, government will put £28k to top it to £140k and I get back a tax rebate of £35k in May from my self assessment.

£63k for nothing. Sweet.
                Depends what the mortgage rate is I guess, borrowing to put into a pension can be risky, and I assume as you are putting in so much you haven't added anything for the past three years?

What's your strategy as it seems random to me, don't pay anything in for a while than add a large lump sum of money you don't actually have to begin with?!
                Last edited by SimonMac; 31 March 2015, 09:26.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  Depends what the mortgage rate is I guess, borrowing to put into a pension can be risky

Not really. If you think about it, I've got some BTL property I own outright. I've taken a remortgage on the house I built for 87k @ 2% and then effectively going to use 77k of that to get back 63k in tax I've paid as a permie but pop it in a pension(carried forward), something I could have never have done at that rate as a contractor. As a contractor I didn't use up my allowances in 11/12, 12/13 & partly in 13/14.

Then next year I'm swapping the whole lot to a SIPP so I can buy some commercial property and set up some shops again & go back part time contracting.

I thought it was a genius move. My pension pot just went up from 100k to 240k in one move.

Comment

Not really. If you think about it, I've got some BTL property I own outright. I've taken a remortgage on the house I built for 87k @ 2% and then effectively going to use 77k of that to get back 63k in tax I've paid as a permie but pop it in a pension(carried forward), something I could have never have done at that rate as a contractor. As a contractor I didn't use up my allowances in 11/12, 12/13 & partly in 13/14.

Then next year I'm swapping the whole lot to a SIPP so I can buy some commercial property and set up some shops again & go back part time contracting.

I thought it was a genius move.
                    Your numbers are all wrong, you are not getting £63k back, you are getting £35k, the £28K you may get back (and potentially more when you retire), also if you are using £77k of the mortgage that means to add £112k where is the other £35k coming from? Or have you counted the £35k you will be getting back twice?

At best you are only at the same place you started cash in hand wise, but with a mortgage and a bigger pension pot.

Comment

Working...
                    X