PDA

View Full Version : Consultants vs contractors

BlindCobblersThumb
17th April 2015, 21:17
Is there a difference?

I'm excluding (permie) professional service staff from my definition.

I'm a consultant, I'm also a contractor.

But not all contractors are consultants... They are executing low level tasks (that permies don't want) ,rather than providing advice to the client.

TheFaQQer
17th April 2015, 21:37
Is there a difference?

£1000 a day.

DodgyAgent
17th April 2015, 21:44
£1000 a day.

consultants don@t pi** off in a sulk or leave contracts early for a better offer elsewhere

EternalOptimist
17th April 2015, 21:55
Contractors don't lie for financial advantage and don't string people along for no reason

tarbera
18th April 2015, 06:51
Penis size + £1000 a day

MarillionFan
18th April 2015, 07:19
Is there a difference?

I'm excluding (permie) professional service staff from my definition.

I'm a consultant, I'm also a contractor.

But not all contractors are consultants... They are executing low level tasks (that permies don't want) ,rather than providing advice to the client.

Consultants bring business skills and understanding in addition to technical expertise. Contractors bring a specific expertise.

DimPrawn
18th April 2015, 10:11
Consultants spend their time on Powerpoint and in meetings.

Contractors spend their time doing productive things and getting things done.

flamel
18th April 2015, 10:58
A lot of contractors are ex-consultants (I was with Big 4 for many years for example), so the client gets a good service for far less money. Plus there's no partnership politics to deal with and the clients don't have to pay for partner visits etc etc.

DodgyAgent
18th April 2015, 13:34
Contractors don't lie for financial advantage and don't string people along for no reason :laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh

DodgyAgent
18th April 2015, 13:35
Consultants spend their time on Powerpoint and in meetings.

Contractors spend their time doing productive things like posting on CUK.

FTFY

MaryPoppins
19th April 2015, 18:22
A lot of contractors are ex-consultants (I was with Big 4 for many years for example), so the client gets a good service for far less money..

Bah ha ha ha! Or, they get the same drivel for far less money.

Ex big four.

Shudder.

tpsman
19th April 2015, 18:34
Consultants bring business skills and understanding in addition to technical expertise. Contractors bring a specific expertise.

I would class myself as a consultant, and this is exactly what I would say.

flamel
19th April 2015, 20:31
.... they get the same drivel for far less money.

LOL

:rollin:

DimPrawn
19th April 2015, 20:32
A lot of contractors are ex-consultants (I was with Big 4 for many years for example), so the client gets a good service for far less money. Plus there's no partnership politics to deal with and the clients don't have to pay for partner visits etc etc.

Wipro, Tata, InfoSys or Tech Mahindra?

:rolleyes: