• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor going permie, advice please?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor going permie, advice please?

Hello.

A little background, I worked in IT for 13 years as a permie than after a 3 month gap accidently landed a 3 month contract working for £300/day. My first contract. The opportunity to turn permie is being presented and I was wondering if someone could help me understand what sort of ballpark money should I be asking for as a salaried employee coming from a £300 day rate.

For comparison my old job was £42k PA, 5% bonus, 28 days vacation (on top of bank hols), 7% pension contribs matched by 12% extra from the company, healthcare and death in service
    The new job has no bonus, 20 days vacation (on top of bank holds), 4% pension contribs matched by 5% extra from the company, healthcare and death in service.

Can anyone help me sort my head out please? Meeting with the agency in a few hours to discuss. Never sure whose side they're on!

thanks for reading

Originally posted by Syrinx View Post
    Hello.

A little background, I worked in IT for 13 years as a permie than after a 3 month gap accidently landed a 3 month contract working for £300/day. My first contract. The opportunity to turn permie is being presented and I was wondering if someone could help me understand what sort of ballpark money should I be asking for as a salaried employee coming from a £300 day rate.

For comparison my old job was £42k PA, 5% bonus, 28 days vacation (on top of bank hols), 7% pension contribs matched by 12% extra from the company, healthcare and death in service
    The new job has no bonus, 20 days vacation (on top of bank holds), 4% pension contribs matched by 5% extra from the company, healthcare and death in service.

Can anyone help me sort my head out please? Meeting with the agency in a few hours to discuss. Never sure whose side they're on!

thanks for reading
    You're not cut out for permie.

Comment

death in service
      I personally wouldn't count on that!

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
        why do you feel that?

Comment

£53k
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Hello.

thanks for reading
            Anyways, how long was the contract for?

Contract and Permie markets are two separate entities like apples and oranges. An argument that goes like 'I used to get £500 pd as a contractor, so I expect £100,000 pa as a permie' doesn't necessarily hold water. You should look up on salaries in the market for your skills and experience and work it out from there. It may not be useful to baseline your permie salary based on your contract day rate.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              £53k
              You got a calculator or summat?

Comment

contract is merely 6 weeks into a 3 month deal. id expect it to go on 2-4 years potentially.

not sure if they offer perm and i refuse if i sour the relationship though

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post

why do you feel that?

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    £53k
                    i should have said show your working lol.

i do appreciate the feedback though. genuinely.

Comment

Working...
                    X