• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agents asking for sole representation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

I am wondering how other contractors are handling the request from an agent that in order to be put forward for a role, the contractor must to send an email stating that their agency will be 'solely representing the contractor' for this specific position.

It's happen to me a few times now, and I wonder how other contractors deal with this.

Thanks in advance for your constructive comments.

I usually send them an email saying that I agree to them solely representing me.
    Why wouldn't you do it?
    Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
      I usually send them an email saying that I agree to them solely representing me.
      Why wouldn't you do it?
      This, but on the understanding that you are put forward and only for a limited timeframe,

Comment

Originally posted by strawberrysmoothie View Post
        I am wondering how other contractors are handling the request from an agent that in order to be put forward for a role, the contractor must to send an email stating that their agency will be 'solely representing the contractor' for this specific position.
        "For the next 14 calendar days, I agree to ScummyScum Agency representing My Company Ltd for the role of Widget Wangler at Acme Widgets Ltd"
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I agree to it and hope I get the role. Later on when you receive the contract, regardless of them having asked you about this, you'll likely find that you're tied to the particular agency for X amount of months exclusively anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            "For the next 14 calendar days, I agree to ScummyScum Agency representing My Company Ltd for the role of Widget Wangler at Acme Widgets Ltd"
            One agent I know, gets 3 candidates puts them forward , he then takes out the opposition by getting 15 next best guys to agreed to be sole represented and files the CV's in the bin

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
              One agent I know, gets 3 candidates puts them forward , he then takes out the opposition by getting 15 next best guys to agreed to be sole represented and files the CV's in the bin
              Yes, you can always ask the agent to provide you evidence of submission along with a time limit on the representation. That was one thing I learnt from these forums. It might back fire, but assuming that one is a real contractor, one should be ready to walk.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Generally what I do as well BUT doesn't always work. It depends on the agreement between the agent and the client as well. I got in to a situation where I sent this off to one Agency (A) and heard nothing, a week later a similar role came up but slightly different title with another agency (B) . Had a chat to B and the guy seemed actually pretty good, confirmed I hadn't been put forward for this particular role which was true. He rings me back a couple of days and says Agent A have dibs on me so he can't deal with me. Agreement between client and agents seemed to be along the lines if you have been submitted for a role by an agency that agency also had you for any future roles. It was bloody ridiculous really as Agency A hadn't advertised or contacted me about the second role so hadn't put me forward but Agency B couldn't cause A had dibs on me.

In the end had to speak to A advising I saw this role and could do it. They said great they would submit me, which they did, got to interview and I turned it down before getting a decision due to a better gig.

Really stupid situation that benefited absolutely no one but both agents confirmed the same policy. Someone at Client Co needs shooting for letting it get to this.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Whilst I'm fortunate enough to have not had this happen to myself, other guys I know have found themselves in similar situations to the one you mention NLUK. However I do like FaQQer's response, I guess it does provide an element of protection to a small degree.

Comment

@NorthernladUK an agency tried that with a contractor I was on site with. Unfortunately for them they had made a mistake and fortunately for the client and contractor, the role they had not submitted the contractor's CV for and the current role were different. Due to how the agency and client had agreed the contract the role had to be exactly the same otherwise the agency couldn't represent the contractor.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X