• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Save the Humans!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Save the Humans!

Bot traffic has surpassed humans this year, now accounting for 59 percent of all site visits, according to a report released today by Distil Networks. By comparison, last year, bots accounted for 45 percent of all traffic to Distil's customers' websites.

The majority of the bot traffic was "good bots," said Distil CEO Rami Essaid, such as that from search engines and social media sites. These bots comply with "robot.txt" files that website administrators use to tell bots what to do, and bring value to the websites they visit.

He attributed the growth in bot traffic to more aggressive indexing by Bing, and by new search engines coming online.

"The 'good bots' almost doubled as a category this year," he said.

"Good bots" accounted for 36 percent of traffic this year, up from 21 percent last year. "Bad bots" were responsible for 23 percent of traffic this year, down slightly from 24 percent last year -- not because volumes were down, Essaid repeated, but because the number of "good bots" rose dramatically. Human traffic was just 41 percent, down from 55 percent last year.
    Bots now outnumber humans on the Web | InfoWorld

I've always thought there was a certain cold robotic inhumanity about many of the posters on CUK.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Any CUK posters who are AIs are of the herring sandwich variety.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

a certain cold robotic inhumanity
      AKA logic
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

It is remarkably easy these days to make a pretty big bot. In a short time doing some EC2, nutch, hadoop, lucene work and you can develop something that absorbs vast amounts of data from the web.

Making it useful, or relevant, is the challenge.

Comment

Working...
        X