• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What car?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What car?

New gig starts in 2 weeks, will see me commuting Wolverhampton - Manchestah 3-4 days a week through to end of March (woohoo, banana etc)

I'll admit the rate isn't fantastic but I get paid more for an onsite day than a wfh day, so my plan is to buy a cheap workhorse of a car which I shall mercilessly thrash for the next 9 months then dispose of.

The vehicle will only be used for work (ie doesn't need to be a family wagon etc), I have no ego to satisfy and I'm looking to spend as little as possible - ideally around £1500. Reliable and cheap are the watchwords.

Over to you....

The only cheap car I buy is for my butler.

How about an Aygo?

Comment

Originally posted by Ramrod View Post
      New gig starts in 2 weeks, will see me commuting Wolverhampton - Manchestah 3-4 days a week through to end of March (woohoo, banana etc)

I'll admit the rate isn't fantastic but I get paid more for an onsite day than a wfh day, so my plan is to buy a cheap workhorse of a car which I shall mercilessly thrash for the next 9 months then dispose of.

The vehicle will only be used for work (ie doesn't need to be a family wagon etc), I have no ego to satisfy and I'm looking to spend as little as possible - ideally around £1500. Reliable and cheap are the watchwords.

Over to you....
      At a minimum 2 hours each way I'd stop over in the week if at all possible. 4 hours driving every day is going to kill you.

If not, something comfortable (saloon), diesel. Saab 93, Ford Mondeo, VW Passat, Rover 75 etc. Your going to kill it anyway so you can pick up something sound but scruffy in your price range.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

i would 2nd the shout for a ford mondeo

i killed two doing commutes and cars were reasonably reliable and comfortable

although i don't envy your journey up and down the M6 given the current roadworks

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          At a minimum 2 hours each way I'd stop over in the week if at all possible. 4 hours driving every day is going to kill you.

If not, something comfortable (saloon), diesel. Saab 93, Ford Mondeo, VW Passat, Rover 75 etc. Your going to kill it anyway so you can pick up something sound but scruffy in your price range.
          Sound but scruffy seems to fit the bill nicely

I've thought about staying over, however the working day is short enough that I reckon the drive is do-able (early start, early finish) and the likelihood is that I would be on site Mon/Wed/Fri (with lunchtime finish on Friday) so it may only be the occasional 'sleepover'.

My gut feeling was that a diesel Mondeo would come up trumps - that may be the way I go

Comment

Get a GT86 and drive up the motorway sideways each day.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramrod View Post

Over to you....
              My 2007 Toyota Avensis 2.0D has done nearly 81,000 miles in a little over two and a half years, dull as dishwater to drive but eats the miles and is comfy.

One tip, don't scrip on the services, even if you plan to drive it until it dies, every 6 months without fail it goes in for the full service, touch wood had no mayjor problems except for needing a new battery (ironically yesterday)
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Avoid the Rover 75 at all costs - K Series engine and it'll probably screw you.

To be honest - for £1500 just find something that tickles your fancy and seems in good shape. At the age/mileage of car you're looking at it's a complete gamble and it'll either putter on for mile after mile or completely do you over. Just be prepared to accept that fact and get something else.

I'd be inclined to look at a Mondeo, but again, they can start throwing injectors and turbos at the 150k mark.

For absolute reliability, over all else, I think you need to be looking at low mileage, small petrol engine old common cars such as Astras, Focus etc. If you can get something with a chain instead of a cambelt you may avoid some drama there. It's probably not going to be huge amounts of fun to Manchester and back, though.
                Last edited by vwdan; 3 June 2015, 15:48.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  One tip, don't scrip on the services, even if you plan to drive it until it dies, every 6 months without fail it goes in for the full service, touch wood had no mayjor problems except for needing a new battery (ironically yesterday)
                  Why was yesterday ironic?
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                    If you can get something with a chain instead of a cambelt you may avoid some drama there.
                    +1 for that, I had on go on a Mondeo, totally fecked the engine.
                    I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Working...
                    X