• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming Mileage through my Ltd Company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claiming Mileage through my Ltd Company

Hi Folks.
    New to this Forum and after some advice.
    I have recently formed a Ltd Company because I believe I have been ripped off by my Payroll company since they changed me to PAYE. Was fine under CIS.
    Anyway, done some reading and notice that most people pay themselves from there LTD company just below the Personal allowance and then the rest in Dividends.
    I have been paid into my Business account for 3 weeks now. I have not had to pay myself yet as my payroll company owed me Holiday pay that I had accrued.

The query is. I have several allowable mileage expenses each week.
    If I pay myself below the Personal allowance, If I do a tax return at the end of the year I wont be able to claim this allowance back as I have not paid any Tax to claim back.

Do I therefore need to pay myself the personal allowance (I'll be paying myself Monthly) + what my mileage would amount to over that Month. I would therefore pay tax on this amount and then claim it back on my tax return at the end of the year.

Any Help appreciated

Hi

You would claim the mileage as an expense to your ltd company and claim the 45p per mile for the first 10,000 miles and then 25p per mile thereafter each year.

The mileage would not appear on your self assessment and instead be an allowable expense for the company saving you 20% in corporation tax on the amount claimed.

Salary is also separate.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny@MyAccountantFriend View Post
      Hi

You would claim the mileage as an expense to your ltd company and claim the 45p per mile for the first 10,000 miles and then 25p per mile thereafter each year.

The mileage would not appear on your self assessment and instead be an allowable expense for the company saving you 20% in corporation tax on the amount claimed.

Salary is also separate.
      Thanks for the reply.
      Would this be the same for subsistence.
      Cheers

Comment

Yea and all other business related expenses.

Comment

You not got an accountant or something?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by norush View Post
            Thanks for the reply.
            Would this be the same for subsistence.
            Cheers
            Not quite. Unlike mileage, which is exempt from tax up to the previously mentioned limits and rates and therefore not taxed or reported, travel and subsistence expense payments have to be reported on your P11D (unless you have a dispensation) and are taxable on you personally unless you claim tax relief on your self assessment.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
              travel and subsistence expense payments have to be reported on your P11D (unless you have a dispensation) and are taxable on you personally unless you claim tax relief on your self assessment.
              I certainly don't pay tax on travel and subs, but then again I do pay a decent accountant to advise me on the most tax efficient methods of running my business!

Comment

Originally posted by ceebeepps View Post
                I certainly don't pay tax on travel and subs, but then again I do pay a decent accountant to advise me on the most tax efficient methods of running my business!
                I don't pay tax on business travel either but the fact remains that any payments need reporting on your P11d and tax relief needs to be claimed on your tax return, unless you have a dispensation (I do).

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                  I don't pay tax on business travel either but the fact remains that any payments need reporting on your P11d and tax relief needs to be claimed on your tax return, unless you have a dispensation (I do).
                  This is news to me. When I was a permie I claimed business travel expenses every month for years and it was never reported on my P11D or on my tax return. So I've carried on this way since I became a LtdCo contractor. How does one get dispensation anyway?

Comment

When you were a permie your employer would have had a dispensation in place. Easy enough to apply for - form must be on HMRC.gov.uk somewhere

Comment

Working...
                    X