• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who here uses OSS for serious work?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who here uses OSS for serious work?

I love server-side OSS like Apache and PHP5. Does what is says on the tin and does it very well.

Most OSS on my desktop lasts about 3 days while I struggle with it (all in good will) and then decide my time is worth more.

Have tried varous Linux distros and BSD variants, but the problems are too frequent and obscure to make it worth while.

Sad to say. WinXP64 is the most productive OS I own.

I am a regular user of OS X, but hardly any of the apps I need to do my day-to-day work are available for it.

I tried to be a cool and trendy OSS user, but it just doesn't work for me

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

I dont use OSS desktop OS's, mainly cos I cant be arsed, but I do use apps like Open Office - The free version of Sun's Star Office. Works very well and talks nicely with MS documents as well. The Gimp is excellent for image processing and I use any number of OSS network tools.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I have found ubuntu to be a very good and everything worked well. The biggest problem I had is the lack of MS Office. Open Office is great but when you start transporting complex documents back and forth they seem to screw up.

This being said i haven't used OpenOffice for about a year so it may be better now, the main reason that I switched my main machine back to Windows XP was for games support, it is just much easier getting all of them running on windows. If I could get the latest version of Office working 100% correctly on Ubuntu I would probably switch back to it for my laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
        I dont use OSS desktop OS's, mainly cos I cant be arsed, but I do use apps like Open Office - The free version of Sun's Star Office. Works very well and talks nicely with MS documents as well. The Gimp is excellent for image processing and I use any number of OSS network tools.
        Was with you up until the GIMP Dave.

GIMP has to be the worst bit of image editing software I have ever used.

Yes! Even the latest version.

I'm a long time user of Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop, and even JASC (now Corell) PaintShop Pro - which is a very capable web and print production tool, that is unfairly sniffed-upon by 20 year old "media pro's".

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman
          Was with you up until the GIMP Dave.

GIMP has to be the worst bit of image editing software I have ever used.

Yes! Even the latest version.

I'm a long time user of Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop, and even JASC (now Corell) PaintShop Pro - which is a very capable web and print production tool, that is unfairly sniffed-upon by 20 year old "media pro's".

Heh, horse for courses I guess. I never got on with Illustrator or Photoshop
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

i like fireworks for quick web graphics

OSS has never been my bag.. too many pipe smoking virgins hating windows and giving tulip info for my liking....hard to get anywhere with it.
            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

Anyone using WebSphere is using large amounts of OSS. Anyone connecting to the Internet on a Windows machine is using the BSD TCP/IP stack. Everyone posting here is using OSS software. Anyone developing on Eclipse/Rational Dev Platform is using OSS software. This list goes on.

If you know you are using OSS, you are using bad software. If it works how you expect it to, then it is good software.

EDIT : Oh yeah, my main development machine runs Ubuntu. For games I have an XBox 360
              Last edited by Cowboy Bob; 26 September 2006, 14:18.
              Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

what kinda pipe do you have?
                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
                  EDIT : Oh yeah, my main development machine runs Ubuntu. For games I have an XBox 360

How does OpenOffice deal with MS Office documents these days, or are you lucky enough to not have to deal with the evil that is.....

Comment

Originally posted by kramer
                    what kinda pipe do you have?
                    Are you trying to get this thread moved to Light Relief, kramer?!?

No wait, I see what you mean...

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Working...
                    X