• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Update on my IR35 investigation still going on two and a half years after it began.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update on my IR35 investigation still going on two and a half years after it began.

Firstly please see my other threads for the background to my situation. It's been over a year since I last posted so I've decided to update you. Having been going through this for over two and a half years I can now say that I've moved beyond the initial horror of it, and can reflect on how much I've learned. Although I wouldn't want anyone else to go through it I would say that I've become wise to the underhand and nasty tricks that HMRC play, and I have no hesitation in saying that they are the most disingenuous bullies I have encountered. The stunts and tricks they pull no longer surprise me. But they are like a dog with a bone and keep going back again and again in the hope that they will uncover something to get you into IR35.

After finally saying they deemed me to be inside IR35 I managed to find my end client whom hired me for the contract and he went into discussion with HMRC around the usuals; personal service, control, MOO and right of substitution. I now see it clearly that I was never inside IR35 but still they keep coming back asking more questions. The thing is that throughout this period HMRC went into protracted periods of silence and inactivity; once for six months!!! They now know that they are on shaky ground because whatever they say I'm prepared to go to appeal and even court to defend myself. But they know that they don't want to do that because their guidance says they shouldn't behave like this towards contractors. Indeed they promised to deal swiftly with these inquiries from their new investigation teams. They can argue all that they want but they know they have not acted appropriately and will be reticent to go to appeal.

I feel hopeful that I will still have a successful outcome from this situation and feel glad I had a good accountant and IR35 advice. Yes it's cost me extra money but on some level it's been worth it for the experience alone.
    Last edited by Martley; 9 June 2015, 20:17.

A reminder that IR35 has not gone away.
    World's Best Martini

Comment

Originally posted by v8gaz View Post
      A reminder that IR35 has not gone away.
      It certainly hasn't gone away but what I now realise is how hard it is for HMRC to categorically prove you're inside it.

Comment

Originally posted by Martley View Post
        Firstly please see my other threads for the background to my situation. It's been over a year since I last posted so I've decided to update you. Having been going through this for over two and a half years I can now say that I've moved beyond the initial horror of it, and can reflect on how much I've learned. Although I wouldn't want anyone else to go through it I would say that I've become wise to the underhand and nasty tricks that HMRC play, and I have no hesitation in saying that they are the most disingenuous bullies I have encountered. The stunts and tricks they pull no longer surprise me. But they are like a dog with a bone and keep going back again and again in the hope that they will uncover something to get you into IR35.

After finally saying they deemed me to be inside IR35 I managed to find my end client whom hired me for the contract and he went into discussion with HMRC around the usuals; personal service, control, MOO and right of substitution. I now see it clearly that I was never inside IR35 but still they keep coming back asking more questions. The thing is that throughout this period HMRC went into protracted periods of silence and inactivity; once for six months!!! They now know that they are on shaky ground because whatever they say I'm prepared to go to appeal and even court to defend myself. But they know that they don't want to do that because their guidance says they shouldn't behave like this towards contractors. Indeed they promised to deal swiftly with these inquiries from their new investigation teams. They can argue all that they want but they know they have not acted appropriately and will be reticent to go to appeal.

I feel hopeful that I will still have a successful outcome from this situation and feel glad I had a good accountant and IR35 advice. Yes it's cost me extra money but on some level it's been worth it for the experience alone.
        Kudos for standing your ground! Yes, it would seem that HMRC is mostly staffed with sociopathic types that will just never let go and never admit to being wrong. Sorry you have to go through this kind of tulip, comrade, and hope the end of the tunnel is near for you.
        Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by Martley View Post

What point(s) would you say have been key to demonstrating that you are outside of IR35?

Do you have any idea why they picked on you in the first place?

Do you have any idea when they are going to close the investigation?

Comment

Originally posted by JB3000 View Post
            What point(s) would you say have been key to demonstrating that you are outside of IR35?

Do you have any idea why they picked on you in the first place?

Do you have any idea when they are going to close the investigation?
            The main issues have been of control and personal service but they have asked so many questions over so many months; all broken down into sub parts.

I do know that they have gone through a period of investigating many contractors in the public sector, although how they identified us we still don't know. They just have had some tool or other information that made us more vulnerable.

When will they actually close it down? Who knows but I do think it's coming to an end sometime fairly soon. My end client had a telephone conference call with them and then they sent him a transcript to sign. But he does know what he's doing so this definitely stumped them. But I do not have faith in anything the hmrc do. Besides being foolish to leave long gaps between each letter and demand they used bullying tactics to try to get information from people. Bring it on for the final showdown I say.
            Last edited by Martley; 10 June 2015, 21:04.

Comment

If I may ask: where you doing anything to provoke their interest?

I mean, are you just a contractor going in every day, buying a sandwich on expenses- or were you getting paid holidays, expensing flights to the Caribbean, managing teams, etc?

I believe this distinction is important
              ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

I mean, are you just a contractor going in every day, buying a sandwich on expenses- or were you getting paid holidays, expensing flights to the Caribbean, managing teams, etc?

Perhaps read his other threads, like he suggested. Gives a lot of the background.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

Interesting.. More explanation?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Interesting.. More explanation?
                    Nautically trying to ask - were you doing normal everyday contract stuff, or were you taking the piss in some easily reportable way?
                    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Working...
                    X