• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CLSO closed - what next?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CLSO closed - what next?

Welcome to Day 1 of Year 0.

If you've registered for a CLSO calculation, you are required to AGREE AND PAY it by 30th September.

When you get the calculation - CHECK IT VERY CAREFULLY. For preference share it with your adviser.

If you decide to accept it (and all its uncertainties) then you need to make suitable arrangements to pay. You then need to consider whether you have liabilities beyond 2010/11 and how you deal with them.

If you decide not to accept, then you also have to deal with the years to 2010/11.

For ALL years not closed by the CLSO, your choices are: (I've ignored APN for now)

1. Wait for HMRC to issue an assessment - depending on scheme perhaps 3 to 5 years
    2. Pay the assessment (after allowing for APN paid).
    3. Appeal the assessment - which HMRC will the seek litigation on.
    4. Fight the position in Court, either alone or in a group - final decision perhaps 7 years from now assuming you can afford it.
    5. Try to negotiate with HMRC either alongside preparing for litigation or instead of.

Take control.

Decide on a strategy and execute it.

Be flexible because Court decisions already in the pipeline could dictate a change in strategy and new cases are being lined up.

If you decide to remain in splendid isolation, beware HMRC trying to pick you off.

Join one or more groups depending on your inclination on strategy.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

What next indeed!

Received CLSO offer today, which is quick since my request when just before deadline.

Well...what can I say, figures make me want to weep

They have added benefits from loans onto salary, a reduced personal allowance ???

So what next if you can not pay it?

No negotiation, it's take it or leave it?
    http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

Originally posted by LandRover View Post
      Received CLSO offer today, which is quick since my request when just before deadline.

Well...what can I say, figures make me want to weep

They have added benefits from loans onto salary, a reduced personal allowance ???

So what next if you can not pay it?

No negotiation, it's take it or leave it?
      PM me
      Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

I paid the CLSO back in October 2014 (sent from Bootle), but have just received a letter telling me that an APN is imminent (from Newcastle).

I made full declaration of all years, but the CLSO just charged me for 2006/7. The letter re the APN is proposing to charge me for 2005/6 and 2006/7. I don't understand why they think I owe them any more money.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyPenelope View Post
          I paid the CLSO back in October 2014 (sent from Bootle), but have just received a letter telling me that an APN is imminent (from Newcastle).

I made full declaration of all years, but the CLSO just charged me for 2006/7. The letter re the APN is proposing to charge me for 2005/6 and 2006/7. I don't understand why they think I owe them any more money.

If the year isn't open then they are out of time

Comment

Originally posted by bluemonkey71 View Post
            If the year isn't open then they are out of time
            Well, there were COP 8 letters for both 2005/6 and 2006/7, but not for 2007/8, which they haven't mentioned.

What I don't get is how you can settle and "put it all behind you" or whatever BS was in the settlement letter and then say they are going to issue an APN. What with it being Saturday I can't even phone them and get some answers, so I don't even know how much they think I owe them.

So, all you people who haven't settled - in case you didn't realise it, you were very wise. I certainly wish I hadn't.

Comment

Working...
            X