• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Offered short contract based on deliverables

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offered short contract based on deliverables

Hello All,

I have been offered a short contract that's based on deliverables. It's about 4 weeks long to join a development of a website halfway through.I have said I will need to do an assessment of what's been done before committing to any timescales.

Has anyone else had one of these contracts? Pitfalls...

Thanks for listening

Originally posted by JuanSheet View Post
    Hello All,

I have been offered a short contract that's based on deliverables. It's about 4 weeks long to join a development of a website halfway through.I have said I will need to do an assessment of what's been done before committing to any timescales.

Has anyone else had one of these contracts? Pitfalls...

Thanks for listening
    • Do they have a finalised specification?
    • can you do a gap analysis of what is missing?
    • is pay purely dependent on what you are deliverying or would you be dependent on the output of others?
    • Does the fee cover enough to make up for the risk of 4 weeks work without pay? (Most consultancies add a 50-200% premium for fixed rate work if they accept such work, many outright refuse)..
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Also insist within the contract on a review of pricing should they want to change that 'finalised' specification.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Make sure the criteria for signing that deliverable off is watertight so the client can't refuse to pay because in their opinion the deliverable isn't complete.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Delivery only with an Acceptance test specification which defines the outputs of your "bit".

You need the acceptance test before you implement. They need to sign off on the acceptance test spec.

Then it's water tight.

It shouldn't take more than a couple of hours to define one when you sit down with the customer.

General specifications are great but open to interpretation "oh I meant this" Test specs don't lie.

If you find the test spec becoming unwieldy and larger and larger you know you have a badly scoped project.
          Last edited by BlasterBates; 13 July 2015, 14:05.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

I still wouldn't take it and propose to bill for the time and materials on daily rate.
            In 4 weeks requirements can change a lot.

Comment

Run like the wind.

Sounds like someone left behind a load of tulip for you to sort out in a short time.
              Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

Contract on defined deliverables, eh?

Is that something 'real businesses' do?

Run for the hills?

hmm...

Comment

It's a great IR35 defence (even if it's only a 4 week contract ).

Like the others have said, if you can get acceptance criteria nailed down then you're safe and some way for handling the inevitable CRs, could also do another 9-5 somewhere else at the same time - ker-ching!

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
                    Contract on defined deliverables, eh?

Is that something 'real businesses' do?
                    Yes, all the time.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X