• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have we done the imminent Ice Age yet?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have we done the imminent Ice Age yet?

Just askin' like.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/winter-com...7.html#nN2uMAQ

Ah, feels like the 1970s all over again again.

For dear old Freako, this relates to yet another "scientific" report that this time the sun's output will fall in the 2030s leading to a mini iceage.

It's the hockey puck effect, see.

Earth could be heading for a ‘mini ice age’ within 15 years, scientists have warned.

A new model that tracks solar patterns predicts that the sun’s activity will drop by 60% during the 2030s, leading to a cold weather snap not experienced since the 18th Century.

The last time such weather was seen was when a phenomenon known as the Maunder Minimum plunged the Northern Hemipshere into a series of bitterly cold winters - also known as the ‘Little Ice Age’ - between 1645 and 1715, causing London’s River Thames to completely freeze over.

During the The Maunder Minimum, observers noted that solar activity was at a minimum.

Rather than a period of unremitting cold, the Little Ice Age consisted of many bitterly cold winters combined with some much milder ones.

It is thought that the dense wood used in the famous Stradivarius violins, violas and cellos was formed by slow tree growth during this cold period. Instrument maker Antonio Stradivari was born a year before the start of the Maunder Minimum.

According to NASA, it it highly likely that these tiny ‘ices ages’ have occurred before in the past.

It was 172 years ago that scientists first discovered that the sun’s activity varies over a cycle lasting 10 to 12 years. Until now experts have found it difficult to explain fluctuations in the cycle and predict what will happen next.

Speaking at last week’s National Astronomy Meeting in Wales, Professor Valentina Zharkova from Northumbria University unveiled the new model which predicted the incoming mini ice age using analysis of magnetic field activity.
    Last edited by zeitghost; 8 June 2017, 13:14.

This is just a local effect that will only affect Europe, Asia, North America, South America and Australia.

Globally it will still be warming if you add in the adjustments.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

So BB will swallow any story about an ice age because it fits the narrative he wants to believe?

Significant cooling would be as bad as significant warming. Just about any change has serious consequences really when you look at how many people live in areas on the edge of survivability (too cold, too hot, too dry, too wet, etc)
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Think how catastrophic it would be WITHOUT the 5 deg C warming cause by human activity.

Basically, people like me who spent 20 years looning around in big V8 cars and other hyper CO2 making machines saved humanity!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          So BB will swallow any story about an ice age because it fits the narrative he wants to believe?

Significant cooling would be as bad as significant warming. Just about any change has serious consequences really when you look at how many people live in areas on the edge of survivability (too cold, too hot, too dry, too wet, etc)
          Absolutely so expensive intermittent power is not really a good idea is it.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Basically, people like me who spent 20 years looning around in big V8 cars and other hyper CO2 making machines saved humanity!

Could be. If we were equally convinced that global cooling was happening - regardless whether naturally or due to human intervention - it would make sense to try and combat it

Comment

I don't think breathing out a bit of CO2 will make much difference to an ice age.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                I don't think breathing out a bit of CO2 will make much difference to an ice age.
                Pj Clarke would disagree. He thinks next door's Aygo exhaust fumes could replace the Sun's output and he can fiddle the numbers to prove it!

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  Tell that to Venus.

Comment

Short answer: yes.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post2109766

The new science behind the Yahoo report is a conference presentation at the National Astronomy Meeting in Wales from *Professor Valentina Zharkova, of the Department of Mathematics and Information Sciences at Northumbria University.

Looking ahead to the next solar cycles, the model predicts that the pair of waves become increasingly offset during Cycle 25, which peaks in 2022. During Cycle 26, which covers the decade from 2030-2040, the two waves will become exactly out of synch and this will cause a significant reduction in solar activity.
                    Irregular heartbeat of the Sun driven by double dynamo

This follows on from a paper in Nature that found an increase in the possibility of a Maunder Minimum type reduction in solar activity, which last time it occurred was associated with the Little Ice Age, frost fairs, the Thames freezing over etc. However that paper also pointed out

The relative annual global mean near-surface temperature change for the period 2050–2099 is a cooling of 0.13 and 0.12 °C for EXPT-A and EXPT-B, respectively. This offsets or delays the global warming trend by ~2 years and is small compared with the modelled global warming.*
                    HTH.

See also HotWhopper: There's only a two year reprieve if the sun gets cold - though northern countries might feel it
                    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Working...
                    X