• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Face to Face Interviews

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Face to Face Interviews

Discussion on LinkedIn where some pimps are saying that contracts are refusing to do F2F interviews after a telephone interview.

I do not feel that a two stage interview is anything other than expected (although it always nice to get it over and done with in one interview). I would normally see a F2F interview as more of a "if the face fits" situation, you get the job at the telephone interview, you lose it at the F2F.

But I guess for the code monkey/tester type roles the F2F is less important as there is only so many ways you can do something its either right or wrong, and if you can prove the technical knowledge of the subject that's all that is needed. For any role that has an aspect of Stakeholder management this is not the case, which is why F2F's are still needed.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

I don't see the 2 stage interview as a problem. in fact I prefer it over travelling 200 miles for a f2f only interview for them to tell me I haven't got the contract...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      Discussion on LinkedIn where some pimps are saying that contracts are refusing to do F2F interviews after a telephone interview.

I do not feel that a two stage interview is anything other than expected (although it always nice to get it over and done with in one interview). I would normally see a F2F interview as more of a "if the face fits" situation, you get the job at the telephone interview, you lose it at the F2F.

But I guess for the code monkey/tester type roles the F2F is less important as there is only so many ways you can do something its either right or wrong, and if you can prove the technical knowledge of the subject that's all that is needed. For any role that has an aspect of Stakeholder management this is not the case, which is why F2F's are still needed.
      The end client or agency clearly failed the interview. I really don't see what the problem is there except an annoyed agent after the commission has disappeared
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        I don't see the 2 stage interview as a problem. in fact I prefer it over travelling 200 miles for a f2f only interview for them to tell me I haven't got the contract...
        What's this not getting the contract after interview malarkey??? In that situation I would agree but I do hate telephone interviews and would avoid if at all possible. If they offer me one and it's not a 200 mile gig I'd ask why phone and if they say it's to save me travelling I'll suggest I come in f2f. Some have said OK and I just turn up as normal.
        Had too many with bad phone line or other interruptions and I think having a Yorkshire accent isn't always a plus depending on where the gig is.

Interviewer : Good Morning NLUK
        NLUK : Sithe lad
        Interviewer : Erm, Hello, so tell me what your experiences and thoughts of the period at the end of the project before BAU
        NLUK : Ahh now then. Them wazzocks in't project allus laikin silly buggers an't putting wood in't'oil after werk is done. Engagin' Service allus at t’ last push up. Us Service folk allus get caught wit us kek's round us ankles. By 'eck it gives us a right monk on.
        Interviewer : Riiiight. We'll get back to you.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'll reply if the thread is moved to General

Comment

I always think the process just needs to reflect the seniority and length of the contract and I see major deviations of a sign of things to come. I've recently pulled out of the process for a 3 monther because it started to feel endless and I had better things to do - it was a pretty standard role and anyone with half a clue could've assessed my ability by looking at my CV (It was a carbon copy of a previous role, for a start) and having a chat with me.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              What's this not getting the contract after interview malarkey??? In that situation I would agree but I do hate telephone interviews and would avoid if at all possible. If they offer me one and it's not a 200 mile gig I'd ask why phone and if they say it's to save me travelling I'll suggest I come in f2f. Some have said OK and I just turn up as normal.
              Had too many with bad phone line or other interruptions and I think having a Yorkshire accent isn't always a plus depending on where the gig is.

Interviewer : Erm, Hello, so tell me what your experiences and thoughts of the period at the end of the project before BAU
              NLUK : Ahh now then. Them wazzocks in't project allus laikin silly buggers an't putting wood in't'oil after werk is done. Engagin' Service allus at t’ last push up. Us Service folk allus get caught wit us kek's round us ankles. By 'eck it gives us a right monk on.
              If you think it's hard for you Southerners, try it with a Northern accent.
              Tend to automatically repeat the sentence before you're asked, just to save time.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

But with the F2F, they see you with that ridiculous helmet on.

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
                  But with the F2F, they see you with that ridiculous helmet on.
                  They should know a Megacity Judge NEVER takes his helmet off so I don't think that will be a problem.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I am learning, rather painfully slowly it seems, that the interview process is a very good indication of what it will be like to work at a place.

If the interview is a 1 shot 15 min telephone interview, where you don't feel overly tested, in my experience alarm bells should be ringing. Why should a place put such as low priority on a new hire as to do this slipshod ill prepared kind of interview? Most likely they are extremely busy, the last guy left in a hurry and they are working 18hr days just to stand still and didn't have time to prepare for an interview and just need a body in there quickly to start soaking up some of the blame.

If the interview process is overly officious, 2 or 3 stage with the last stage meaning meeting with the FD/CEO for lunch then they are placing too much interest in the interview process and will most likely be the kind of Americanesque sweatshop where you are part of a whooping and hollering team that has to show how "hungry for success" you are. Expect micromanagement, cliques and permie like treatment.

I wouldn't mind a 2 stage interview as described in the OP, but I would be cautiously watching to see how much involvement HR had in the process. Certainly the days where hiring managers knew what a contractor was for and how to use them are long gone, but there are some organisations that just hire contractors almost as a fashion statement and expect them to fall in line with the working practices and this means aligning with the permies.

An interview is a 2 way process, and if you feel that it's too much 1 way then expect trouble. There's no harm in them doing a little selling of the role to attract top talent. If they come across as if you should be crawling over broken glass and hot coals for the privilege of an interview again I would be walking.

Jut my 2penneth.
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                    X