PDA

View Full Version : £30K to invest

Nemesis
27th July 2015, 14:41
Wellesley, repay mortgage – Any other options?

I am single, happy with my car, remainder in the war chest, so no significant expenditure is on the cards…….

AtW
27th July 2015, 14:42
Spent 50% of the money on alcohol, women, and gambling. And the other half should be wasted.

HTH

P.S. This is not an investment advice...

Nemesis
27th July 2015, 14:44
Spent 50% of the money on alcohol, women, and gambling. And the other half should be wasted.

HTH

P.S. This is not an investment advice...

Already done the woman and alcohol thing. Wellesley would be the gambling element.....

How are the squirrels by the way?

suityou01
27th July 2015, 14:49

I am single, happy with my car, remainder in the war chest, so no significant expenditure is on the cards…….

I have this winning business idea you should invest in, can't fail.

Email to iamamug@bengerinvestments.com for more details.

:D

AtW
27th July 2015, 14:49
How are the squirrels by the way?

Sockie alert!!!

COJAK!!! :devil

Nemesis
27th July 2015, 14:52
Sockie alert!!!

COJAK!!! :devil

I have no lollipop. I also dont drive an Aygo......

I am a permie coming back into the light.

AtW
27th July 2015, 14:54

:eyes

zeitghost
27th July 2015, 15:33

:eyes

:smokin

Goatfell
27th July 2015, 17:22
BTL, you can't lose.

Your money's as safe as houses (or the Bank of England).

:popcorn:

DaveB
27th July 2015, 18:10
If you can find something that returns better than the interest rate on your mortgage, do that. Otherwise pay off the mortgage.

DimPrawn
27th July 2015, 18:30

Women like nice teeth. Invest in a full set of cosmetic veneers. There's your £30K gone like that!

Gumbo Robot
27th July 2015, 19:09
I don't get the Wellesley reference :confused:

OK, Wellesley peer to peer lending (https://www.wellesley.co.uk/)

Nemesis
27th July 2015, 19:23
I don't get the Wellesley reference :confused:

Wellesley offers around 7%, but if the lender defaults potentially I could lose all of my money as not protected. Hence the gambling reference :)

AtW
27th July 2015, 21:05
Women like nice teeth. Invest in a full set of cosmetic veneers. There's your £30K gone like that!

WHS

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Hp20JSzfImc/maxresdefault.jpg

lukemg
28th July 2015, 09:32
Depends -
1. Can you guarantee you don't need it for 10 years ??
2. Can you guarantee you can hold your nerve during the next bear market (potential 50% loss if you bottle it and sell) ?

If yes to both, consider Vanguard Lifestrategy fund (Very diversified global investments, very low fee index fund, make sure you go through a discount broker) 100% shares if you can look at least 10 years ahead. Maybe go 80% shares/20% bonds to benefit from auto-rebalancing.
TRY to chuck a bit more in each month if poss (benefit from PCA)
Fire and forget, thank me in 15 years.....

Monevator.com is your friend for some detail/easy explanations of why.

DimPrawn
28th July 2015, 09:40
Sas just buy another eco-shed okay?

Waldorf
28th July 2015, 12:37
Depends -
1. Can you guarantee you don't need it for 10 years ??
2. Can you guarantee you can hold your nerve during the next bear market (potential 50% loss if you bottle it and sell) ?

If yes to both, consider Vanguard Lifestrategy fund (Very diversified global investments, very low fee index fund, make sure you go through a discount broker) 100% shares if you can look at least 10 years ahead. Maybe go 80% shares/20% bonds to benefit from auto-rebalancing.
TRY to chuck a bit more in each month if poss (benefit from PCA)
Fire and forget, thank me in 15 years.....

Monevator.com is your friend for some detail/easy explanations of why.

Generally good advice, although I am not a fan of bonds, and Vanguard don't seem to do a 100% equities Lifestrategy fund.

I personally invest in Vanguard ETF's very low cost, fully invested etc. they have a wide range covering the whole world so with £30K you can invest via an online broker.

Reinvest the dividends and top up if you can. Obviously use your ISA allowance each year as this will protect you from capital gains and any further increases on dividend taxation.

lukemg
28th July 2015, 14:33
Vanguard LifeStrategy 100% Equity Accumulation Fund | Fund price & information (http://www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-discounts,-prices--and--factsheets/search-results/v/vanguard-lifestrategy-100-equity-accumulation)

Yeah they do 100%. I am all over the etf's too but I wouldn't put a new investor onto them, I would advise them to keep it ultra simple.