• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 - Retrospective Investigations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 - Retrospective Investigations

I know that HMRC can go back 6 years but what would happen in the hypothetical situation whereby they investigate a particular contract for which there is no longer anyone on the client site who remembers you.

Would they just ask questions about the current working practices and make a decision based on that even if your working practices were different (because there's no longer anyone there to vouch for you)?

I have a couple like this in my back catalog. One in which all team members, middle management etc are no longer working for that client & one other where the company no longer exists.

As I said, the whole thing is hypothetical at present.

It's that hypothetical any answers you get won't really be worth anything. We could take a guess for you but not sure what good that is.

My guess is they would loom at each case on its merits. If there is no one to question and it's going to be difficult to prove they will move on to one they have a better chance of winning. But this is HMRC we are talking about.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'd say as long as the contract was fine they will pick easier targets, and you can relax, especially if you got a confirmation of arrangements.

Comment

I wasn't aware HMRC could do anything retrospectively.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          I wasn't aware HMRC could do anything retrospectively.
          That's very amusing but I can see the tongue through your cheek.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            It's that hypothetical any answers you get won't really be worth anything. We could take a guess for you but not sure what good that is.

My guess is they would loom at each case on its merits. If there is no one to question and it's going to be difficult to prove they will move on to one they have a better chance of winning. But this is HMRC we are talking about.
            My worry was that they would just decide I was IR35 caught & it would be up to me to prove the negative.

A bit hard if there's nobody there anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Scroatman View Post
              My worry was that they would just decide I was IR35 caught & it would be up to me to prove the negative.

A bit hard if there's nobody there anymore.
              The good British mantra of "innocent until proven guilty".

Can you prove something that didn't happen actually didn't happen?
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                The good British mantra of "innocent until proven guilty".

Can you prove something that didn't happen actually didn't happen?
                Which is my whole argument against SDC being solely used in T&S and IR35 legislation
                Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                  Which is my whole argument against SDC being solely used in T&S and IR35 legislation
                  Up there with "nobody has died, so prove I farted".
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                    I'd say as long as the contract was fine they will pick easier targets, and you can relax, especially if you got a confirmation of arrangements.

Comment

Working...
                    X