• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Future of contracting if end client decides status

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Future of contracting if end client decides status

Will the number of contracts that come on the market decrease (and PAYE FTC's increase) if clients are forced to determine IR35 status?

I'd expect that. End clients won't be willing to take on risk.

Comment

Originally posted by JB3000 View Post
      Will the number of contracts that come on the market decrease (and PAYE FTC's increase) if clients are forced to determine IR35 status?
      Originally posted by Andrew@NymanLinden View Post
      I'd expect that. End clients won't be willing to take on risk.
      No one knows whats going to happen at this stage.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
        No one knows whats going to happen at this stage.
        I'm sure a way will be found. Agents will find a way to work around the rules, salesmen will sell new tax avoidance schemes to the unwary and life will go on....
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I don't see the end client having a choice, if they badly need a dev and the clock is ticking, time is money.
          Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Originally posted by NibblyPig View Post
            I don't see the end client having a choice, if they badly need a dev and the clock is ticking, time is money.
            There will be a battle between the project manager and the person responsible for the client's legal obligations, usually the FD. The FD will always win in this battle.
            "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by JB3000 View Post
              Yes, for independent consultants, as clients try to minimise any risk.

And it will damage the flexible workforce badly as almost everything will move to big consultancies.

The certain clients will exercise their power to determine IR35 status but only for the purpose to pay less for more or do not pay at all. Overwise what their point?
              Last edited by FK1; 24 August 2015, 22:56.

Comment

Originally posted by NibblyPig View Post
                Then they'll offer a contract inside IR35 and only inside. If that's all there is on offer then they'll get enough candidates for the role.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

They'll offer what they want and the appropriate people will decide to apply or not.

If they want to go outside to attract the best of the best of the best with honours then they'll have a commercial arm to their Human Remains team to handle contract staffing issues.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

People with more in demand skills will (or at least should) be able to raise rates to compensate.

Clients in less populated areas will have to bite the bullet.

Suspect everyone else will have to take the risk, although I suspect some start ups who need to save money up front might use it as a bargaining chip.

Comment

Working...
                    X