• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Notice period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice period

If your notice period is 1 week and you would give or be given notice on a Tuesday (today 25/08)
    would your last working day be:
    Friday 28/08 (due to bank holiday Monday) (would it normally be Monday if there was no bank holiday?)
    Tuesday 01/09
    Wednesday 02/09

Does it matter what time of the day one would give/be given notice early morning or late afternoon?

In the absence of any specific definition of what "one week" means in any contract you may have signed (e.g. 5 business days, 7 calendar days), I personally would take the last day to be next Tuesday (1st September) as I would deem notice to be in effect from the end of the day on which its given. i.e. strictly speaking if you worked until 5pm then I would say one week notice means you would finish at 5pm next Tuesday.

Just my take on it though.

Comment

If either party is going to quibble over a day it would seem to be the relationship has broken down to an irreconcilable state so the quicker you are off site the better, assuming all handovers are finished try and finish on the following Friday, and avoid handing your notice in on any other day than Monday or Friday
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        If either party is going to quibble over a day it would seem to be the relationship has broken down to an irreconcilable state so the quicker you are off site the better, assuming all handovers are finished try and finish on the following Friday, and avoid handing your notice in on any other day than Monday or Friday
        I agree but I want to be able to say in my CV, I was there until September

Comment

1. Overview
          If you want to leave your job, check your employment contract for the amount of notice you must give your employer.

Your employment contract will tell you:

how much notice you must give
          how you must give notice
          how much you’ll be paid during your notice period
          what may happen if you leave to work for a competitor
          If you’ve worked there for more than 1 month you must give at least 1 week’s notice.

Your notice period usually runs from the start of the day after you handed your notice in.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
            Jesus wept.... Seriously???
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Adopt the Julian Calendar...

Comment

The wait a few days and give notice on Friday to finish the following Friday

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Jesus wept.... Seriously???
                  There is some logic in it, especially if you have lots of short contracts

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    There is some logic in it, especially if you have lots of short contracts
                    Logic is fine, inability to make a decision over one extra day is not.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X