PDA

View Full Version : Website

eek
28th August 2015, 11:17
Basic website is up https://thefutureofcontracting.co.uk/

I will add content to the 3 read more pages tonight. :suity: rather ruined my weekend...

northernladuk
28th August 2015, 11:38
Oh interesting. I wait with bated breath...

It's not just going to be a big clock counting down is it?

eek
28th August 2015, 11:44
Oh interesting. I wait with bated breath...

It's not just going to be a big clock counting down is it?

Nope...

Probably a timeline explaining what happens when

April 2016
Travel and subsistence changes.
Expenses can no longer be claimed. You will need to pay them from your own pocket so will need to either increase your salary or pay more dividends to cover those costs.
This will probably result in you going into the higher tax bands and even having to pay back child benefit.

April 2017
Changes to IR35
The end client will now determine whether the work you are doing is subject to IR35 or not. The system as suggested will result in most end clients determining that you are subject to IR35.
You will no longer be able to pay yourself via dividends and will only be able to pay yourself via PAYE including both Employees and Employers NI costs.

That should be enough to scare people...

Then there will be the same for agencies and for end clients suitable changed to show them the impact it will have for them.

eek
28th August 2015, 11:47
If anyone wants to help please PM me...

cojak
28th August 2015, 11:50
Stickied...

mudskipper
28th August 2015, 12:18
Stickied...

Perhaps wait till the site is up? People might visit, see nothing, and not bother returning.

pr1
28th August 2015, 13:14
Perhaps wait till the site is up? People might visit, see nothing, and not bother returning.

can confirm: have visited, seen nothing, will not return

cojak
28th August 2015, 13:45
It's still visible without without the stickie.

I don't think eek will lose too many readers over the course of the afternoon.

pr1
28th August 2015, 13:53
ok i returned

eek
1st September 2015, 13:06
website updated with a timeline for contractors, agencies and end clients.

Anyone additional scary points happily received and added..

cojak
1st September 2015, 13:13
I can 'read more' for contractors, but I can't 'read more' for end clients or agencies.

ASB
1st September 2015, 13:19
"It is very possible contractors will have to be paid via the agency’s internal payroll."

[man in street]

So what ?

If I wander into any agency and they send me off to ABC plc as a window cleaner/carer/driver/etc that is exactly what happen now.

eek
1st September 2015, 13:23
"It is very possible contractors will have to be paid via the agency’s internal payroll."

[man in street]

So what ?

If I wander into any agency and they send me off to ABC plc as a window cleaner/carer/driver/etc that is exactly what happen now.

Ask that to your typical agency who binned payroll 10 years as it is a utter pain of a job to do...

The page outlines the scenario to 3 sets of people to show:-

The impact it has to contractors (less money, more hassle may as well join a consultancy)

The impact it has to end clients (good luck HMRC filling your technical requirements in Newcastle)...

The impact it has to agencies (all those bits of work you offloaded for years are suddenly yours to deal with again)...

Yep man on street won't see the issue regarding payroll. Agency owners will....

d000hg
1st September 2015, 14:43
I like how the "things you can do" section is blank.

SueEllen
1st September 2015, 16:33
I like how the "things you can do" section is blank.

Well you can either be mean or helpful.

SimonMac
1st September 2015, 16:35
Basic website is up https://thefutureofcontracting.co.uk/

I will add content to the 3 read more pages tonight. :suity: rather ruined my weekend...

Any reason you sent it to HTTPS?

eek
1st September 2015, 16:38
Any reason you sent it to HTTPS?

Yep because it didn't cost anything... Why?

eek
2nd September 2015, 17:10
Sadly work has consumed the last 24 hours and I've not had time to finish the pages off.

I won't get a chance now as I'm off on holiday to the 10th. If however anyone wants to do anything and wants access to the website pm me and I'll create an account for you...

I was planning to add Lisa's letter suggestions to the read more pages but I've not had a chance....

suityou01
3rd September 2015, 06:38
Sadly work has consumed the last 24 hours and I've not had time to finish the pages off.

I won't get a chance now as I'm off on holiday to the 10th. If however anyone wants to do anything and wants access to the website pm me and I'll create an account for you...

I was planning to add Lisa's letter suggestions to the read more pages but I've not had a chance....

Enjoy your holiday. I PMed you.

I'll start with a series of requirements workshops :D

suityou01
4th September 2015, 08:27

Still waiting .....

TheFaQQer
4th September 2015, 10:16
Still waiting .....

Looks like you missed the interview slot if eek's away now until the 10th...

suityou01
4th September 2015, 11:08
Looks like you missed the interview slot if eek's away now until the 10th...

Something tells me he's the kind of chap to check here while on holiday. :D

And then emphatically deny it. :laugh

SimonMac
8th September 2015, 09:43

View Profile: eek - Contractor UK Bulletin Board (http://forums.contractoruk.com/members/eek.html)

General Information
Last Activity Today 08:07

:laugh

suityou01
8th September 2015, 14:11
View Profile: eek - Contractor UK Bulletin Board (http://forums.contractoruk.com/members/eek.html)

General Information
Last Activity Today 08:07

Strange isn't it. Says how busy he is, and how much work this additional site is, asks for help and then when help arrives just ignores it.

I would say either he doesn't want any help as it affects his martyr status, or he doesn't want help from me.

MarillionFan
8th September 2015, 14:18
I would say either he doesn't want any help as it affects his martyr status, or he doesn't want help from me.

Did you turn up for the interview??

OP. I would have thought this was more apt.

doomed.co.uk (http://www.doomed.co.uk/)

Or this is available

www.yourealldoomed.co.uk (http://www.yourealldoomed.co.uk)

:happy

suityou01
8th September 2015, 15:01
Did you turn up for the interview??

OP. I would have thought this was more apt.

doomed.co.uk (http://www.doomed.co.uk/)

Or this is available

www.yourealldoomed.co.uk (http://www.yourealldoomed.co.uk)

:happy

I have turned up for every interview on time in my life.

The same cannot be said for many of the interviewers mind.

One of them, a yank, didn't turn up at all. :grin

eek
9th September 2015, 20:11

Yep. I did check while on Holiday to see if there was anything I needed to respond to. There wasn't except for one person who couldn't follow the very simply instructions I left...

Danglekt
9th September 2015, 22:03
small edit to the client bit - it references using consultancies, but doesn;t explicitly say why this is a problem for business - i.e. they pay the same to the contractor but charge 3X the day rate they would pay a contractor to the end client

suityou01
10th September 2015, 06:31

Yep. I did check while on Holiday to see if there was anything I needed to respond to. There wasn't except for one person who couldn't follow the very simply instructions I left...

eek
10th September 2015, 08:02

You never PMed me. Thought I didn't need to point that out but if I have to, well....

fool
10th September 2015, 08:39
We're all on the same side, stop trying to knock each other down.

@eek - If you want this to be a community driven, stick it on github and let us PR. Who the tulip cares about who PMs who and who's in the special editing group, if the PR is good, merge it.

Oh and while this annoying comment will be annoying, and I'm sorry for that, but rather than using Wordpress, use something like Jekyll. It'll take you an hour to get up and running and you can use github + cloudflare to host it HTTPS terminated for free.

We don't really need to be selling ourselves as expert contractors only to get our site hacked because we overspecced what only needs to be HTML as a big unsecured blob of PHP. (I actually like PHP, before anyone thinks I'm trying to start a language war)

eek
10th September 2015, 09:25
We're all on the same side, stop trying to knock each other down.

@eek - If you want this to be a community driven, stick it on github and let us PR. Who the tulip cares about who PMs who and who's in the special editing group, if the PR is good, merge it.

Oh and while this annoying comment will be annoying, and I'm sorry for that, but rather than using Wordpress, use something like Jekyll. It'll take you an hour to get up and running and you can use github + cloudflare to host it HTTPS terminated for free.

We don't really need to be selling ourselves as expert contractors only to get our site hacked because we overspecced what only needs to be HTML as a big unsecured blob of PHP. (I actually like PHP, before anyone thinks I'm trying to start a language war)

The only reason the PM stuff is here at all is because I certain poster wanted to make a joke about it (personal I have him on ignore but sometimes you can't)...

As for changing the hosting platform, wordpress for me works. Yes it may not be the greatest system in the world and yes I could use static html but I don't want to learn something new when I just want it done today and wordpress is simple.

The only issue here is that I went on holiday and someone decided, instead of helping, to make a poor joke of things.

And I will admit that I'm having major doubts about doing anything. At the moment I really could just say screw the industry and rejoin my old consultancy. The offer is good with a promise of none of the permie crap they know I hate...

fool
10th September 2015, 09:38
The only reason the PM stuff is here at all is because I certain poster wanted to make a joke about it (personal I have him on ignore but sometimes you can't)...

As for changing the hosting platform, wordpress for me works. Yes it may not be the greatest system in the world and yes I could use static html but I don't want to learn something new when I just want it done today and wordpress is simple.

I can't really change your mind, but I will reiterate, I'd have given a PR with a change to jekyll if this was on github. I haven't got a clue whether we actually have any good web design guys on here who'll actually send PR's though.

And I will admit that I'm having major doubts about doing anything. At the moment I really could just say screw the industry and rejoin my old consultancy. The offer is good with a promise of none of the permie crap they know I hate...

I'm not sure it'll help and I'm working on plans to no longer be a contractor myself but don't do something to stave off the default IR35 bs nobody else is going to.

unixman
10th September 2015, 10:11
Yep because it didn't cost anything... Why?

Aren't you paying £99 per year for the Comodo TLS certificate?

Nice layout by the way. Slow though, what hardware is it running on?

eek
10th September 2015, 10:37
Aren't you paying £99 per year for the Comodo TLS certificate?

Nice layout by the way. Slow though, what hardware is it running on?

Usually its $1.99 but was free with the domain. (namecheap.com) do stupid deals..

hosting is on a hosted box. Haven't set up caching on it yet though which would speed it up a lot.

mudskipper
10th September 2015, 10:56
Suity's offer to help appeared to be genuine, as indeed was mine. Methinks you're a tad over sensitive.

eek
10th September 2015, 11:00
Suity's offer to help appeared to be genuine, as indeed was mine. Methinks you're a tad over sensitive.

I give up... Suity's offer was totally and utterly none genuine... If you check back he hasn't offered to do anything and never PMed me.....

But if you think joking about doing some requirement gathering that isn't required and was never asked for is an offer to help then I accept I may be wrong.

Either way I'm just going to take the next 3 weeks off, focus on plan b and plan c and leave everyone too it...

:wave:

CUK password changed to something random I don't know and the website is going down tonight....

TheFaQQer
10th September 2015, 11:14

If you have someone on ignore then you won't get their PM. I had to PM BrowneIssue on CM's behalf once because he had her on ignore so wasn't getting her messages.

So maybe it's not really down to Suity not meeting your requirements, rather you throwing technical obstacles in the way.

TheFaQQer
10th September 2015, 11:17
the website is going down tonight....

I'll just take this opportunity to remind people who want to contribute, the IPSE consultation is still open until this weekend. So please make the most of your chance to contribute to people who will be making a series of responses to these issues.

suityou01
10th September 2015, 11:24
I give up... Suity's offer was totally and utterly none genuine... If you check back he hasn't offered to do anything and never PMed me.....

But if you think joking about doing some requirement gathering that isn't required and was never asked for is an offer to help then I accept I may be wrong.

Either way I'm just going to take the next 3 weeks off, focus on plan b and plan c and leave everyone too it...

:wave:

CUK password changed to something random I don't know and the website is going down tonight....

https://40.media.tumblr.com/e4480a88a00ce14419d7f3c79fda751f/tumblr_nugkwdW3Bd1uoh8dfo1_1280.png

dynamicsaxcontractor
10th September 2015, 12:33
Why don't we just fight about nothing between ourselves and let HMRC come and eat us alive.

cojak
10th September 2015, 12:39
Why don't we just fight about nothing between ourselves and let HMRC come and eat us alive.

Did you expect anything else?

pr1
10th September 2015, 12:58
does this mean all the results from eek's survey are gone now too? or did he offload those to anyone? Lisa?

TheCoconutDog
10th September 2015, 14:20
does this mean all the results from eek's survey are gone now too? or did he offload those to anyone? Lisa?

I'm holding out for a hero...

</Bonnie Tyler>

cojak
10th September 2015, 14:24

I've asked him to pass the survey results onto Lisa.

cojak
11th September 2015, 14:58
Irrelevant posts removed - this isn't General.

LisaContractorUmbrella
14th September 2015, 14:15
I've asked him to pass the survey results onto Lisa.

Thanks Cojak - I will add Eek's results to ours once they're received and that then means that we will be providing our friends at HMRC with over 1,000 responses and that's something that they can't ignore. The consultation response will be published online so it's available to everyone as soon as I've finished it which will hopefully be this week - I'll make sure I keep you guys posted.

Negroni
18th September 2015, 14:31
Thanks Cojak - I will add Eek's results to ours once they're received and that then means that we will be providing our friends at HMRC with over 1,000 responses and that's something that they can't ignore. The consultation response will be published online so it's available to everyone as soon as I've finished it which will hopefully be this week - I'll make sure I keep you guys posted.

Helllo.

Did you ever get the results from Eek's website? I was really disappointed to hear that the website was taken down after I and a lot of other people had spent time completing the survey. It would be good to know that the time wasn't completely wasted.

Thank you.

cojak
18th September 2015, 17:21
Helllo.

Did you ever get the results from Eek's website? I was really disappointed to hear that the website was taken down after I and a lot of other people had spent time completing the survey. It would be good to know that the time wasn't completely wasted.

Thank you.

No, it hasn't been wasted Negroni. I think that eek is still working on the survey. I'll post more info when he contacts me.

Negroni
20th September 2015, 09:58
No, it hasn't been wasted Negroni. I think that eek is still working on the survey. I'll post more info when he contacts me.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, Cojak. Glad that the survey analysis is progressing. Do you know if the analysis be published for review before being submitted ?