• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Notice Period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice Period

People

Need some advice here. A new consultancy offered me a role with their interim client on a six month basis. However the project has come to an end after 7 weeks.

The consultany has a clause to give 30 days written notice but even though verbally the work has ended, they say they cant afford to pay my 30 days money. They are trying to get me other roles but the offers are seriously reduced by 60%+

Do I have a point to take legal action, or is is not even worth the paper its written on!!

Similar thing happened to me at the end of last year. Personally I would look for them to send my company a cheque by return for all outstanding monies based on days/time actually worked to date (invoice them for anything not already billed). I would give them 7 days max to settle. Use quick settlement as a bargaining chip in return for not pursuing them for the notice period - which I think you will almost always find is illusory anyway.

Start job hunting now and Good luck!

Comment

If you are a freelancer claiming to be outside IR35 then you should not expect to be found other work by the consultancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mack
        People

Need some advice here. A new consultancy offered me a role with their interim client on a six month basis. However the project has come to an end after 7 weeks.

The consultany has a clause to give 30 days written notice but even though verbally the work has ended, they say they cant afford to pay my 30 days money. They are trying to get me other roles but the offers are seriously reduced by 60%+

Do I have a point to take legal action, or is is not even worth the paper its written on!!
        Fight the bastards - this happens way too often. What would have happened if you had walked out without giving your 30 days? Sue you, that's what!

Comment

You have 30 days written into the contract, then it is your right to demand the 30 days payment at the original contract rate.

That is the law.

Trust me, they'd stick you to it, However, alternatively, if you wish, you can accept the lower rate notice period, if and only if , they allow you to search for a new contract during that period, ie use the phones, attend interviews and so forth. There must be a compensation to you of similar value (not necessarily a monetary one)

This is mitigation, and it also needs to an amendment agreed in writing by both parties.

Do nothing on word of mouth.

cheers

barely_pointless (old cranky contractor. )

Comment

Working...
          X